"Voshkie" - 1985 Goldwing 1200 - Maintenance Log

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The same week that I got my Yamaha Virago, my friend got this 1985 Goldwing 1200 Aspencade. Difference is, the Goldwing doesn't run :???: We're tearing it down now to fix the rusted gas tank and rebuild the 4 carburetors this bike has.

Hauled it back in the worst way possible :lol:

Last edited:

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got it to my house and off the trailer. Got the carbs out and just generally cleaned, after which the bike would run from an external gas can, but it wouldn't idle.

Cleaning the carbs.

Powder coated the battery retainer.

Had a shop clean and reseal the gas tank, but they did a piss poor job of it :|

Now the bike is sitting half torn apart in our new work area. We're waiting on a real carb rebuild kit to arrive and see how that goes.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From some of @traza42's work over the past week:

The starter was shot.

New battery arrived.

Started reassembling the back end with the refinished fuel tank installed.

New starter installed.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Spent today working on the bike with @traza42. We got more of the rear frame reassembled and I polished of some corrosion on the chrome bits.

Before:

After:

I also applied some leather product to the seats and rests.

@traza42 got the new starter wired in:

And the bike is looking pretty good!

Next up he needs to finish fixing the bad wiring spots for lights and accessories, and then we need to pull the four carbs and use his rebuild kit on them.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well... We got the carbs rebuilt and installed, but the engine still doesn't want to run.

Traza cleaned up some wiring:

Looks good!

Rebuilding the carbs:

There was a tear in one of the diaphrams.. Those suckers are expensive so we just RTV'ed it back together.

Engine still bogs down, with a misfire on one cylinder. We took a peek under the valve cover:

Looks pretty clean. Compression test shows ~110psi on the cylinders, with none of them totally out of whack...

Next step is really up to traza, we might be servicing the valves, idk.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yesterday my friend came over with a 4-gauge vacuum setup and synced the carburetors. Then we pulled the case off of the timing belt and found out that the cams were out of sync by one tooth. Got that fixed and the bike fired right up and started idling without the choke! I think he's got a usable bike now :thumbs up

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think he's got a usable bike now :thumbs up
:rolf:

Yeah, the bike would kinda run, but not really. We decided to take the carbs back off and actually rebuild them for real this time. Picked up a rebuild gaskets + o-ring kit from Randakk's and diaphragm repair boots from JBM.

Old boot. Notice how the hollow hole in the top of the tube and the ring on the boot line up, apparently this matters.

Removed:

New boot. Notice how it has a thick "tire" of rubber on the inner diameter. That's to keep it sealed and from rotating on the tube.

New boot installed and rolled:

Get your squeaky clean carburetor:

Install diaphragm:

Add the spring and cap:

Currently on 2 of 4, going is slow with only an hour or so per night to work on it.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got the carbs back together and on the engine.

No difference, it'll idle with the choke on, but dies when trying to rev. :what:

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Took the carbs back off, cleaned the jets again and now the bike runs! :D

I need to take a short video of it running at some point, but I've already kicked it out of the garage and back to my friend's place where he'll tune/sync the carbs and hopefully keep fixing it up.