Vtec engagement..

JDM_legendsB18c

Be_DeVoTeD
5+ Year Member
I was wodering.. I have a JDM Gsr swap that came with the car when I bought it but didn't like the ecu. It had a top speed limit of 120. Im guessing cause in Japan its kilometers. But the thing is that I decided to get rid of it and get a usdm gsr ecu that had a higher top speed of 140. The jdm ecu had the vtec kick in at about 5500 but now with the usdm ecu, it kicks in really low, like at 4500. That is really odd because friends of mine with gsr's say that theirs kicks in at about 5400-5500.. But with the usdm ecu, it runs much stronger and wastes more gasss!!! I need to know if it normal for the vtec to kick in that low??! Thnx guys ;)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i thought vtec engagement was 6000 on b-series?

its 5500 for my d16y8

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JDM_legendsB18c said:
I was wodering.. I have a JDM Gsr swap that came with the car when I bought it but didn't like the ecu. It had a top speed limit of 120. Im guessing cause in Japan its kilometers. But the thing is that I decided to get rid of it and get a usdm gsr ecu that had a higher top speed of 140. The jdm ecu had the vtec kick in at about 5500 but now with the usdm ecu, it kicks in really low, like at 4500. That is really odd because friends of mine with gsr's say that theirs kicks in at about 5400-5500.. But with the usdm ecu, it runs much stronger and wastes more gasss!!! I need to know if it normal for the vtec to kick in that low??! Thnx guys ;)
^^ nope, on a GSR there is kind of 2 engagement points, first one is at 4500 and the second is at 5500.

first engagement is vtec, with an exhaust it will just sound like bumble bees in your exhaust lol, the second will give it that typical B series sounding vtec like on a b16. thats just factory settings, with or without a jdm ecu

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
99siTUNER said:
^^ nope, on a GSR there is kind of 2 engagement points, first one is at 4500 and the second is at 5500.

first engagement is vtec, with an exhaust it will just sound like bumble bees in your exhaust lol, the second will give it that typical B series sounding vtec like on a b16. thats just factory settings, with or without a jdm ecu
First engagement 4400rpm switches to the high cams. Second engagement at 5800rpm opens up the secondary runners of the intake manifold, so you can hear it start roaring from here on.

The dual stage intake manifold, unique to the GSR (and I think Prelude), was designed for a flatter torque curve. You shouldn't be having a problem with wasting any gas.