Vtec issues

Joeazn

hey fellas I have a 2003 civic ex coup an I just replaced the alternator, starter, and vtec due to car not going pass 4000 rpm and code p1259 popping check engine light it drives fine until motor comes up to temp then the car bogs at 4000 rpm again I have done so much and it driving me crazy I am tired of chasing parts and wondering if anyone has came across this prob before? Thanks in advance!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey fellas I have a 2003 civic ex coup an I just replaced the alternator, starter, and vtec due to car not going pass 4000 rpm and code p1259 popping
What does the starter and alternator have to do with the code and it being in "limp" mode, not revving past 4k rpm?

It's a Vtec code, check the following:
Low oil pressure/low engine oil - check your oil level, change oil and filter if necessary. Clear the codes see what happens.
Defective VTEC solenoid - replace as needed.
Open or shorted VTEC harness or Poor electrical connections in the VTEC circuit - inspect, fix as needed.
Defective VTEC oil pressure switch - - replace with new HONDA part.

Just because you clear the codes and if the light doesn't come back on immediately, doesn't mean it's fixed.
The car needs to go through a drive cycle to reset the system, which usually runs about 20 miles or so.

Joeazn

I have done the oil chang and filter what boggling my mind is it drives fine until the car get up to temp and when i rev to 4k it just boggs and does not go any higher

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have done the oil chang and filter what boggling my mind is it drives fine until the car get up to temp and when i rev to 4k it just boggs and does not go any higher
It shouldn't be boggling.
It drives fine in the lower RPM but won't allow over 4K because you have Vtec failure, it's Vtec system failure issue, so to prevent damage to the engine it goes into "limp mode", not allowing you to rev past a certain limit.

Have you tried any of the other things mentioned or done any research and troubleshooting regarding the Vtec solenoid or switch?