Warning ordering 6th gen Si rear sway bar from HondaAutomotiveParts.com

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chimchim said:
New, with no worries.
Yeah, except for the 4 lock-nuts that are missing. At least you've got it all figured out...and warned the rest of us who plan on doing this mod.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
Yes, the bigger 'Type R' bars will certainly make a bigger difference than the Si one, but they also come with the infamous subframe tearout.
everyone i know that has the ctr or itr anti sway bars, they have used the beaks subframe reinforcement kit. none of them has problems with their subframes tearing.

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chimchim said:
$175... I know was expensive... but it was new and it guaranteed had all the parts. I was sick of waiting and getting burned. For about 3 months I had been: conned into buying a GSR sway being told it would bolt onto my 97 civic, lost 4 ebay auctions for Si sways from 3 second snipers, almost got fooled into buying an Si sway off a dude on another forum that had a broken endlink. So I threw my hands up, said f*&K it, and bought the new one. New, with no worries. So it was worth it.

The reason I went Si sway, was cuz I'm still on stock suspension. I don't race and my daily driver now can take on ramps much faster.
I got lucky on my purchase on eBay. Paid $50 and the guy was in the penninsula so I took a nice drive down the strech to pick it up. Everything was complete except for the bolts which I got at home depot. It even came with a comptech box! 8)

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
everyone i know that has the ctr or itr anti sway bars, they have used the beaks subframe reinforcement kit. none of them has problems with their subframes tearing.
Agreed. For daily drivers who don't abuse their cars I'm sure they wouldn't tear out... however..

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=638838&page=1

Read the entire thing and follow the links. There has been some people that tear out thier subframes, but only due to harsh abuse over a period of time. The only fix for this would be getting a Type R subframe which is thicker... of course you can go for the other option of getting a Comptech-style tie/sway bar.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
check this out, i been reading it since the first started. its a custom rear subframe. they had it on a itr bar then they are using a 32mm anti roll bar, its going to be a badass when it comes out.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=785497&page=1
It's not a subframe. It's actually just a brace, working in the same design aspect as the Comptech tie/sway bar is. But if it works better and is cheaper than the Comptech, it's definately worth taking a look at.

Also remember the fact that they keep stating that having higher rear spring rates will also reduce the stress that the sway bar produces to the subframe. And, this rear brace seems all well, but he does indeed have reinforcement of the stock subframe already, with the welded plates on the inside. I would like to see how it would work with a stock subframe, especially with that monster 32mm bar.

Would definately keep an eye on this, especially with more people's experience on it.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think that the people who have subframe tear out with the itr bars are the people who autocross. most people i know who has them hasnt have a problem yet, but they dont autocross.

ZimZimma13

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good info to know seeing as though Im still kinda a noob on that kind of suspension work. So a beaks kit with an Si or GSR rear bar would reduce the chance of subframe tearout or whatever?? I'd never do autox just daily driving.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the beaks kit is used for the type r 22mm bar. the subframe will have no problem with the si or gsr sway bar.

MyztikRacing

Team Elite Koncepz
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i think everyone should be careful ordering a rear lower strut bar if ur exhaust goes over the suspension or under it.... my friends 98 civic had hks cat-bcak exhaust and was unable to put a rear lower strut bar on since it was either over the suspension or under it

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
MyztikRacing said:
Well i think everyone should be careful ordering a rear lower strut bar if ur exhaust goes over the suspension or under it.... my friends 98 civic had hks cat-bcak exhaust and was unable to put a rear lower strut bar on since it was either over the suspension or under it
The post is in the correct thread, but the information is semi-accurate (or misinterpretation of the definitions used). A rear lower strut bar a.k.a. rear tie bar, will not interfer with your exhaust system. A sway bar will however, and there has been some incompatibilities with some exhaust systems and sway bars.

Gabspeed

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chimchim said:
As for the GSR bar, I need to try it myself to be sure. But the GSR endlinks don't have a ball pivot like the Si's do. So it the width doesn't match (which the GSR doesn't match the 6th gen civic EX) then it won't fit; short by about 1/2" on both sides. But, using Si endlinks, the ball joint will turn to allow you to reach.

The GSR mounts don't match so you need Si mounts, but with the GSR 14mm bushings. Hold on, lemme check...
can you just insted of having to buy si endlinks, open new wholes on the civcs lower control arm so the integra bar endlinks fits? whould this represent a problem? wouldn't the si endlinks break? they seem very thin and weak compare to the bar specially if im talking about the Type R sway (22 mm) anybody have an opinion on this? thanks in andvance

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah... drilling new holes would work too. And you're right, the Si endlinks do look a little weak, especially for a 22mm bar.

Gabspeed

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chimchim said:
Yeah... drilling new holes would work too. And you're right, the Si endlinks do look a little weak, especially for a 22mm bar.
you don't think this would represent a problem in acutally how the sway bar will work? just wannted to me sure before i "destroy my suspension" if you know what i mean ;) and would you know where to get the sub frame reinforcement?? beaks or that big old plate i saw earlyer on the post? i do have a ITR sway bar 22mm need something strong don't wanna rip that thing up thanks again anybody else feel free to give they're opinion it will be gratly apretiate it thanks

Gabspeed

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
The post is in the correct thread, but the information is semi-accurate (or misinterpretation of the definitions used). A rear lower strut bar a.k.a. rear tie bar, will not interfer with your exhaust system. A sway bar will however, and there has been some incompatibilities with some exhaust systems and sway bars.
about this... APEX'i N1 cat back exahust will it be compatible with a reare ITR sway bar?? any body??? I have both already :???: catback already installed, itr sway bar not yet

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey gabspeed, what endlinks are you using to install the itr bar? are you using a reinnforment kit?

Gabspeed

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
hey gabspeed, what endlinks are you using to install the itr bar? are you using a reinnforment kit?
i haven't intall the bar yet it came with its own itr endlinks i was planning on just making new wholes on the lower control arms to make those endlinks fit since they are about 1/2 inch off the factory whole, but not sure if that would work I have not heard anybody that has done that before so im not sure if that might reprensent any problems and reinforment don't have anything yet either i've heard of the beaks kit but not sure what to get. what can be t recomended? thanks

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't see why drilling holes would be a problem other than if the holes are too close to each other. The LCA's are not reinforced at the stock hole anyways, so it would seem that it's the same as if you had drilled it.

Moving the hole closer has a slight effect on the torque mechanics of the sway bar spring due to where it attaches, but I highly doubt any damage could occur. In fact, moving the hole closer to the LCA joint reduces the distance the endlink travels... which means less stress on the sway bar.