What am i doing wrong?

Ejayy8

5+ Year Member
Can someone please explain to me why I am losing a bunch of saturation in my photos when i go to upload them to the internet. I shoot in raw and do all of my editing in raw (I'm using adobe cs3) and when i go to save them i choose to save them as a jpeg file because usually what all online photo hosting sites require. Is jpeg the reason why I'm losing saturation? I need help!!!!:cry:

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can someone please explain to me why I am losing a bunch of saturation in my photos when i go to upload them to the internet. I shoot in raw and do all of my editing in raw (I'm using adobe cs3) and when i go to save them i choose to save them as a jpeg file because usually what all online photo hosting sites require. Is jpeg the reason why I'm losing saturation? I need help!!!!:cry:
thats the reason. its jpg it compresses the file.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no...
what color profile are you using? most browsers use sRGB, which is a shittastic way of saying, f**k you color.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no...
what color profile are you using? most browsers use sRGB, which is a shittastic way of saying, f**k you color.
agreed. My photos look like ass on the browser but print awesome.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats interesting.

Have you tried editing your photo's with lightroom..?\

I don't lose much saturation when I edit mine...or atleast i'm not noticing

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wish i could help, but ive never had that problem :what:

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i shoot in raw and don't notice anything when i upload :what:

where are you uploading to? could be the website you upload to also..

idk if its also because my camera only does 10-bit raws while your guys' do 12 or 14bit :what: (still, i dont see your p&s shooting in raw ;) )

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the same problem. Practically everything i've ever posted shows up with the colors somewhat washed and it pisses me off.

its the sRGB color profile. In photoshop, lightroom, or printouts my stuff looks rich, but when i upload it to the web, it looks washed.

The only way to avoid this is to up the saturation on your stuff right before you save it, so it'll (hopefully) come out the way you want it when you put it online. Flickr does the same s**t.

Ejayy8

5+ Year Member
OK so I did a lot of reading up on this. My problem was that when i did my editing in raw i was using aRGB as my colorspace. Once i uploaded to the internet, the browser couldn't read all the color outputs correctly. It basically took its best guess at what color to use and thats when you get your unsaturated look. All i did was convert from aRGB to sRGB and now my pictures look perfectly fine

Here's a good link
http://www.gballard.net/psd/saveforwebshift.html

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you my friend have saved me alot of time consuming internet searching. thanks

Dreamer1

Cellphone User
5+ Year Member
it's ICC related... you color profile is displayed correctly in CS3 but resulting jpeg looks like crap...

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay, its confirmed. i was right.