What are you doing / did you do today / CHAT THREAD

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like I posted earlier today, I'm gonna attempt to dry age my own steaks. I had the best steak of my life a few weeks back. It was dry aged for I wanna say... 18 days? Anyway, I saw an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown broke down a home method for dry aging. Not sure how long I'm gonna age but I bought 2 steaks to test out 2 different time lengths.
2 USDA Choice Ribeye
IMG_6941 by Audie Brown, on Flickr

Makeshift container and rack using a foil pie pan and skewers
IMG_6942 by Audie Brown, on Flickr

The only part I didn't get from Alton Brown, using salt to draw out and absorb moisture
IMG_6943 by Audie Brown, on Flickr

Steak covered up with a paper towel, will change out daily
IMG_6944 by Audie Brown, on Flickr

In the bottom of the fridge they go. Fridge is set at 35 degrees.

I'm going to snap a pic of the steaks each day as I change out the paper towels to see how they change. If anyone has any advice or input, I would love to hear it as it relates to dry aging.

Last edited:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've never tried a dry aged steak before but I've heard they're really good.

My favorite is prime rib. That's my dying meal. If I was 10 years younger, I would eat prime rib every week until my doctor told me I need to stop lol. I'm starting to notice my metabolism is finally changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never tried a dry aged steak before but I've heard they're really good.

My favorite is prime rib. That's my dying meal. If I was 10 years younger, I would eat prime rib every week until my doctor told me I need to stop lol. I'm starting to notice my metabolism is finally changing.

I love me some prime rib as well! For the last 2 years I've prepared a 6 bone for our family Christmas dinner. I make my own horseradish sauce too. :drool:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never had a dry aged steak. Guess I'll have to Google it

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got drunk last night. Turns out its the only thing that I have been consistently good at my whole life.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Day 2 of the dry aging process. Little to no color change so far. The meat is certainly more compressed as it has lost water weight. After removing Day 1's paper towel, there is no moisture present on the surface.

IMG_6949 by Audie Brown, on Flickr

IMG_6948 by Audie Brown, on Flickr

Ep3po

Respected
Damn I haven't been on here in a minute........

Selling my Civic to a friend tomorrow. Bought a 2017 HRV LX AWD last week and absolutely f**king love it.

Me and my wife picked up a 2016 hrv ex AWD back in August as our family car it has 13,000 miles on it now. I drove it from Connecticut to Tampa and back last week. drove 3000 miles in 7 days and used $250 in gas. It's a great little car. My only complaint is the lack of storage. The center compartment between two front seats is a joke and the door pockets are worthless and the glove box isn't much better.there is nowhere to put anything on a long trip. My 03 si And the 2015 civic coupe I traded in for the hrv both have better storage spots.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Me and my wife picked up a 2016 hrv ex AWD back in August as our family car it has 13,000 miles on it now. I drove it from Connecticut to Tampa and back last week. drove 3000 miles in 7 days and used $250 in gas. It's a great little car. My only complaint is the lack of storage. The center compartment between two front seats is a joke and the door pockets are worthless and the glove box isn't much better.there is nowhere to put anything on a long trip. My 03 si And the 2015 civic coupe I traded in for the hrv both have better storage spots.
And its ugly too :thumbs up

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You really think it's ugly? Lol. its definitely not as good looking as a 30 year old RHD rotary powered Mazda pickup but it's easier on the eyes than the new crv which was our other consideration
Haha. Im not a fan of them or the crv. My ol lady wants a mdx next after shes over her TL.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Had some Fuddruckers
Sent some people their pictures

That's about the extent of my day
Had a bunch of stuff planned for outside
But it's been raining like a son of a b***h today

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think the HR-V is one of the best looking subcompact SUV's out but of course that's a personal opinion. I love my HR-V. Debadged it today and it looks even better. I have LED license plate bulbs on the way to flow with my LED reverse lights :thumbs up.

Well it's a crossover, not a "full" or "regular" SUV. I agree though, the arm rest storage is a joke. I barely fit a stack of napkins in there lol. I personally don't need the storage though, so it's not one of my complaints. The only 2 things I'm still getting used to are the electric parking brake and the center console storage that's underneath the whole unit.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
New spark plugs in the DC5 and a fresh wash yesterday.

My buddy just got an S2000 for a damn near steal. Older man in his 50's selling an 02 S2000 with 66k, mint condition white, for $9500. My buddy ran the VIN, it came back as a 2005. Either something is amiss, or the guy didn't know he had an AP2 rather than an AP1.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Check any of the body panels, firewall, engine, etc.

Or, IDK, maybe the title.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I see @Chris. posted on CC for the first time in 3 years. In a spam thread. That was removed. Haha

Now that @Evan. is unbanned as of last week, we just need to get him and @Billy. here, and all you first name username people are back! :lol:

EDIT: OH! And @JohnS. who is back too! =D

Zaythegent

Been kinda working on a like club/ crew with my friends (why not it's fun) and am actually really enjoying drawing up the logos and stickers, and stuff, maybe we can actually go somewhere with this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Went on a field trip with my daughter today. I hate kids but I still kinda had fun