What do I need to Turbo Charge my car.

jwlhw2

5+ Year Member
I found this Turbo kit on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T70-Turbo-Charger-Set-up-Kit-Civic-Crx-Del-Sol-88-00_W0QQitemZ330003386240QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am thinking about buying it for my 2000 Civic EX. I have already put on an Edlebrock Performer X intake manifold so I can have extra injectors. I am somewhat new to turbos and I don't know if this would be a good buy. I am only looking to run about 10 psi or less. And I plan on getting a fuel mapping system. I would appreciat your input.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what exactly does the kit come with?? looks like the intercoole, intercooler pipes and BOV come seperate. and for $600 I would be hesitant.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You get what you pay for... From what I can see that kit comes with a no name turbo, no name intercooler & piping, no name wastegate, and a type S bov. The bov seems to be the only thing that they will actually give a brand name for, which would scare me off right away. Also, 600-700 for a full turbo kit is definately a warning.

chimmychongaz

'92 Civic POS Edition
5+ Year Member
It will come with everything shown, but it's still pretty incomplete.

You will also need a downpipe, oil lines, misc. bolts and nuts, and a type of Fuel management. Also more than likely larger injectors, upgraded fuel pump, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, etc.

I'm sure I'm forgetting more, but i'm tired.

I made the mistake of buying an incomplete no name kit such as this for $900. I've pretty much bought the rest of the needed/wanted parts, and i'm estimating the total cost to be around $2000+. For that much, I could have got a GReddy kit, which would probably be more reliable.

In closing, i say, Don't buy it. Save up, and get a more Credible/Complete turbo kit.

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just buy GOOD stuff custom.. complete turbo kit is good (not all ) , just you can to buy stuff for to do a kit turbo custom it really is great and funny ;).

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WalterRonny said:
just buy GOOD stuff custom.. complete turbo kit is good (not all ) , just you can to buy stuff for to do a kit turbo custom it really is great and funny ;).
Might be a good idea not to give advice when you have slim knowlege and a poor grasp of the language. Confuses people: thumbs up

These are the things you NEED to turbo your car:

Turbo
Manifold
Downpipe
Dump Tube
Charge Piping
Fuel Management
Oil Lines
Oil Tap
Oil Pan Gasket
Couplers
Vacuum Lines
Wastegate
Manifold Gasket
Turbo Gasket
Downpipe Gasket

These are things you SHOULD get turbo your car:

255lph Fuel Pump
Injectors
Intercooler
Chipped ECU (OBD1)
OBD2->OBD1 Conversion Harness (if required)
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Boost Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Blow-Off Valve
Blow Off Valve Flange
Blow Off Valve Gasket
More vacuum lines
Tachometer (in cluster or external)

Things that are NICE to have:

Stage 1 Street Clutch
Resurface Flywheel
Billet Cam Seals
2.5" exhaust
Bigger Radiator
Wideband O2 sensor
Wideband O2 Gauge (A/F Gauges are bunk)
Oil Temp Gauge
EGT Gauge (Pyrometer)

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
homemadeturbo.com if you're on a budget, should be your best friend. For $600 you can get a complete turbo kit that is actually, you know, complete. Unlike what most ebay stores offer. And it'll do the job just as well, if not better than that no name stuff.

Or just splurge and go for a $2000+ namebrand kit.

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
Might be a good idea not to give advice when you have slim knowlege and a poor grasp of the language. Confuses people: thumbs up

These are the things you NEED to turbo your car:

Turbo
Manifold
Downpipe
Dump Tube
Charge Piping
Fuel Management
Oil Lines
Oil Tap
Oil Pan Gasket
Couplers
Vacuum Lines
Wastegate
Manifold Gasket
Turbo Gasket
Downpipe Gasket

These are things you SHOULD get turbo your car:

255lph Fuel Pump
Injectors
Intercooler
Chipped ECU (OBD1)
OBD2->OBD1 Conversion Harness (if required)
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Boost Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Blow-Off Valve
Blow Off Valve Flange
Blow Off Valve Gasket
More vacuum lines
Tachometer (in cluster or external)

Things that are NICE to have:

Stage 1 Street Clutch
Resurface Flywheel
Billet Cam Seals
2.5" exhaust
Bigger Radiator
Wideband O2 sensor
Wideband O2 Gauge (A/F Gauges are bunk)
Oil Temp Gauge
EGT Gauge (Pyrometer)
sorry for my english and im boosting my hatch :roll: and i KNOW what i need for to boost my hatch perfectly. :roll:

i dont know for what its necessary a Tachometer , get one if your car hasnt not one

how do you know what 2.5 is the GOOD size if you dont know what setup he wants? :roll: and WHY 255lph and NOT 190lph if you again dont know what setup he wants? :roll:

if you have GOOD knowleg , what kind injectors he needs? :roll:

Good luck jwlhw2 and get a VERY GOOD TUNE ;)

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BTW , forget turbo kit and go to HMT and make yourself kit turbo for your car ;).

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why get a 190lph fuel pump? Get a 255 for the same price and an FPR. Then you're secure for anything you might need. Most turbo d's also need 450's as a top end unless you're doing something pretty hardcore. DSM 450's and a resistor box are $50 - free at a junk yard. It's a good setup, and very effective. Also, 2.5" exhaust is top end. Sure, you can got with standard 2.24", but if you ever build your engine up, you're just gonna have to replace it down the road. A tachometer is not necssary, but it should be there for anyone planning on doing track in their car. I don't use mine day to day, but it's nice every once in a while, and almost a must for track use.

But you and your rolling smileys seem to think different ;)

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where i can to get a 255LPH to good price? ive seen ALWAYS ppl when give advice , say Get a 255LPH..

i dont know he guy want a car only for track , if he wants one car only for that, he will needs a lot of money for to make good times of course ... not ICs like that and a crap manifold or and turbocrap like that...

like i said good luck to he...

i wil run when i boost my hatch OEM radiator.. and almost all parts OEM (stock internals of course..).

and Eran, you would can to add to the list of "Things that are NICE to have:"

pistons , rods,etc..etc..

i think the fist question is , what do you want to get ? or so.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Internals are a whole different spectum outside of things that are "nice" to have. All the things I listed that were "nice" to have are things that are pretty nice to have for a stock-internal boost job.

jwlhw2

5+ Year Member
Hey. Thanks for the help guys you probably saved me alot of money. I will keep looking for the kit that is right for me. I might just have to put my own together. I am a good fabricator and I work in a custom body shop so I have access to anything I might need.