What happens when you're car is lowered and runs over high way bumps

Discussion in 'Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension (All Gens)' started by reg_lus, Oct 10, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. reg_lus

reg_lus New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Roads were dig and they made several bumps on a 65 mph. I was running 50 mph and those
    stupid rough road ate the S*** out of my tires! From 80% to 40% Totally pissed! >: (

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. treeafodo

treeafodo Austin Registered VIP

Ouch! Time for new a header.

3. reg_lus

going back to stock as for now..lol

4. Puma

Puma Has no filter Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Been there, done that 2 headers ago..

5. Elton

Elton New Member

ouch ! ya i wanna put my civic back to stock with maybe a inch drop if that

6. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

You gotta pay to play. Thankfully I haven't hit anything serious yet. Plus I swerve at every single object on the road, even sewer covers.

7. Raabe

Raabe Hell yea I suck toes! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

This.

I cracked my oil pan on a 4 lane highway about 110 miles away from home on a Saturday, right in the middle of 80mph gridlock. Lets just say i cleared the lanes rather quickly.

[​IMG]

8. krooked32

krooked32 New Member

daamn. thats one reason why i never dropped my ej that low. was always afraid of busting up everything lol.

9. DeathLens

DeathLens EM1 Crew Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

My header is about the same. Also has about an inch crack. Still rockin it. lol

10. Decipher

Decipher New Member Registered VIP

s***'s rough. You gotta be vigilant when driving dumped. I'm not even that low, but my ride height still requires me to avoid most any kind of structure in the road taller than 2" because my exhaust hangs low... and I drive for my job and average about 50 - 75 miles a day around the city.

The worst is when they're ripping up an old road to repave it, and the little water line covers or manhole covers that remain like 4 inches above the stripped up pavement... that s*** will devastate anything it comes into contact with. Be CAREFUL!

11. reg_lus

Ever since that day on, I'm never taking my car for a road trip. BUT, If I do happen to go, raise up to stock for sure this time.

12. XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r What Civic? Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

damn :shock: I'm not that low, but my fat exhaust (3" from the downpipe back), hangs ~ 2" from the ground on a flat surface. And I live on campus.. speedbumps errrywhere. People give me weird looks when I go over them at a 45' angle super slow...

Anyways, you must have been LOW for that to happen

13. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

If you drive over those lowered, you are not smart :lol:. I will stop traffic and wait to be able to go half way into the other lane before I ever risk driving over something that can potentially rip my oil pan off. I'm sorry but I care more about myself and my car than other people on the road.

Like I before, I avoid everything and anything. If it's big enough where I know it'll do damage and I can't avoid it, I will either go a different route or take my time.

14. Puma

My God one of those things almost totaled my car a few weeks back. I was cutting through the city to head southside and took a road I'm not too familiar with. The instant the pavement changes there's a manhole and it's just a busy side street. You better believe I shot into oncoming traffic and back over instantly. Pretty sure I made the oncoming driver pee themselves. If he didn't, I almost did.

I'm definitely tired of driving a lowered car. I want to convert the car back to stock so badly but anything stock before an 8th gen is ugly IMO.

To whoever said no to road trips...smart man. I refuse to take my car far distances unless it's to Chicago b/c I've done the drive 5 million times.

15. IACivicSi

IACivicSi New Member

Haha, I feel the love for the 8th gen there. I sometimes go outside and wonder if my car is lowered on hfp suspension or if it's just stock. And hearing all these stories remind me of why I don't want to be low, plus I live in an inclined apartment complex, would be a p.i.t.a to drive on.

16. Decipher

Decipher New Member Registered VIP

I'm all about people lowering their cars. To me, stance is probably the most important factor in achieving a pleasant aesthetic. You can have a bone stock anything and slam it to the ground and it almost always looks dope as s***. You just have to know what to expect when driving something that 's only a couple inches off the ground.

It's simple: the lower the car = the better the driver

If that equation isn't true, then you are likely to have your vehicle f***ed up ^. I'm not saying the OP is a bad driver... we'll call this a learning experience. Now he'll be a better driver and know what not to do if he continues to ride lowered.

17. Puma

Eh, in his defense, there ARE obstacles you can't avoid sometimes. It's happened to me alot. I'll be in traffic, and cars in front can clear items. All of a sudden I see it pop out from the vehicle in front and I can't switch lanes b/c I'm surrounded by cars so I do the classic "OH F*CK!!" *butthole clench and grip the wheel tight* **slam into object** Then pull over when I can, check damage, and tell her she's gonna be ok and mommy's sorry. :lol:

Or I see an object in the road but still have nowhere to go due to traffic or median wall, something.