What have you done to your 5th Gen Civic Today?

Sammy D

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blacked out the tail-lights today with VHT night shades. what do you think?
before

after

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
intake and exhaust manifolds installed, timing belt installed, and valve lash adjusted. now, just need to fill with fluids, install new accessory belts, and install a new power steering pump

bzzt

What I NEED to do is a head gasket on the '95 D15B7.
Is there a popular web site to order from or should I go to VatoZone?
Also on my srt-4 I sprayed down the gasket with sticky stuff. Is that necessary with the civic?

AnimeKid

Im jealous of all you guys who have 200k+ miles and have no problems. Mine got 173k and all kinda s**t wrong with it. Today I replaced a coolant hose that blew while driving.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Although I don't currently own a 5th gen, they have a special place in my heart, and I WILL own another one, eventually. But to address your jealousy, "we" don't have problems because we address then before they become problems. It's not all about shiny parts, you gotta maintain everything too. Any idiot with a tool set can work on a car, diagnostic skills are what makes a technician. I've worked with numerous guys that we're "certified" and had huge toolboxes slap ass full of snap-on tools that couldn't diagnose their way out of a wet paper bag.

I always refer to them as "parts changers" I can't even begin to tell you how many times good components have been changed because they were chasing a problem. s**t used to piss me off, that's why I got out of the business, that and a bad back, but mostly that.

Don't chase, diagnose.
/end rant/

bzzt

Im jealous of all you guys who have 200k+ miles and have no problems. Mine got 173k and all kinda s*** wrong with it. Today I replaced a coolant hose that blew while driving.
I have no idea what had been done to mine when we purchased at 368,000 miles but I bet it was a lot.
Some things you can see coming, like cracking hoses (preventative) but other ones you just fix when they break.
Heat, cold, friction, bumps, etc. take a toll on every car on the road and stuff is going to wear out and break.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yup. regrding the d15b7 gasket, can do the autozone/Oreilly method, or the OEM way. even the OEM is fiber-type gasket, not the MLS like the z6. Not sure if Cometic or other aftermarket make a MLS version for the b7

92lseg

Relocated my battery back to the oem location, moved the lower mount so my integra radiator mounts correctly =)
And fixed the cluster f$&@ that the previous owner did on the dizzy wiring,

Tiring process fixing all the jimmy rigged crap that was done to this car, but I Should pass nhra tech now for forum fest drags =)

bzzt

yup. regrding the d15b7 gasket, can do the autozone/Oreilly method, or the OEM way. even the OEM is fiber-type gasket, not the MLS like the z6. Not sure if Cometic or other aftermarket make a MLS version for the b7
Thanks. Do I need to spray it with the sticky gasket stuff?
Also is it ok to re-use the head studs?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks. Do I need to spray it with the sticky gasket stuff?
Also is it ok to re-use the head studs?
shouldn't need gasket seal for the head gasket. as far as the bolts, get new ones if you can afford it, otherwise reusing the originals should be fine. I don't remember the serv manual specifying to use new head bolts

bzzt

shouldn't need gasket seal for the head gasket. as far as the bolts, get new ones if you can afford it, otherwise reusing the originals should be fine. I don't remember the serv manual specifying to use new head bolts
Cool, thanks!
(I still need to download the service manual)

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
done to it.. nothing... done for it ( daily 93 B-series Si hatch)
1 TunerSports Decals - Silver Metallic ( Set of 2) - TSDecals $0.00
1 Yonaka Catback Exhaust (Hatchback only | 60mm piping) - YMCB004 $239.00
1 Blackworks BWR Test Pipe (JDM 2.5'') - BWTP-HA010 $92.27
To be mated up with a DC ceramic 4-1 2.5" outlet header.

Going N/A again is much simpler than boost

Keep an eye out for my 93 VX boosted poor-mans type-R thread coming soon.. 50% of the parts assembled

AnimeKid

Trust me I fully understand about "certified", what I was saying is just the luck people have with that. I have owned mine for three years and babied the mess out of it. but it was literally like 170,000 hit and it just started going to absolute s***. Ive done regular maintenance to the car, oil changes, spark plugs wires, timing belt pump, things like that. The darn thing just seems to want to go caput on me. I will admit I recently just started throwing parts at it especially after taking the thing in to the dealership having a true problem and having them charge me $300 for doing nothing to it, and still cant figure out why its got the problem it has. I have sat and diagnosed for hours on this thing taking it to a friends shop and hooking it up to a computer and going through the ecm and every sensor only for it to tell me that nothing could be found. So what my friend do you do when that happens?

Although I don't currently own a 5th gen, they have a special place in my heart, and I WILL own another one, eventually. But to address your jealousy, "we" don't have problems because we address then before they become problems. It's not all about shiny parts, you gotta maintain everything too. Any idiot with a tool set can work on a car, diagnostic skills are what makes a technician. I've worked with numerous guys that we're "certified" and had huge toolboxes slap ass full of snap-on tools that couldn't diagnose their way out of a wet paper bag.

I always refer to them as "parts changers" I can't even begin to tell you how many times good components have been changed because they were chasing a problem. s*** used to piss me off, that's why I got out of the business, that and a bad back, but mostly that.

Don't chase, diagnose.
/end rant/

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Unfortunately, you're missing something, somewhere. The thing about it is this, although it's not an exact science, it's kinda like math. There is only one true answer. You say you've diagnosed the heck out of it, and I don't doubt that, I've been there many times. There's something, however minimal it may be, that you're missing. Keep looking my friend, the problem is there, it's just hiding.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
SHE LIVES AGAIN!!! Finally put the car back together after changing head gasket, timing belt, and waterpump. Primed the fuel pump, and fuel sprayed out of the fuel rail. Appears the injector orings are shot. Replaced all the injector orings and gaskets, and started right up! No more white smoke, and she's feeling STRONG. In fact, this d15b7 feels stronger now than my d16y8! Seems I need to tune up the 99 Civic now....

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok. if you can find the image with the maintenece schedule, it has page numbers of where to find the component/service steps. should be toward the front of the images, if it's anything like the manual. If need specific info (torque specs, etc) let me know

AnimeKid

Oh yeah I fully agree with you on that. I don't doubt it with the way my luck runs its something so small and ridiculous that i haven't noticed it. I had a small vacuum leak on my gsr and couldn't find it. It was dadgum small that it never showed with any leak down test.

Unfortunately, you're missing something, somewhere. The thing about it is this, although it's not an exact science, it's kinda like math. There is only one true answer. You say you've diagnosed the heck out of it, and I don't doubt that, I've been there many times. There's something, however minimal it may be, that you're missing. Keep looking my friend, the problem is there, it's just hiding.