What is "P&P" and Retrofit?

1999EM1

My mechanic said he'd sell and install HIDs for me for $70, should I take him up on the offer? Keep seeing "P&P" popup here and there but teh FAQ doesn't say what it is. Thanks.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
generally p&p stands for port and polish in reference to decreasing flow restriction and increasing flow volume on the intake side of an engine. by porting, you increase the volume allowing more air to exist. and by polishing you decrease friction of the moving air and create a more laminar flow

retrofit is a term for installing a newer item into an older system that it wasn't designed for. in your case the retrofit means to install a HID kit into a pair of otherwise stock halogen headlight housings. depending on the type of HID he is using, $70 isnt a bad price. Unless that's just for labor...

Last edited:

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
Are you referring to P&P about your headlights? If so then it means Plug & Play. Which is just putting a Hid bulb in your halogen projector (don't do this, it scatters the light everywhere and blinds everyone.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:lol: :rolf:

Billy pretty much got it right with retrofit. It's putting something new into something old that didn't originally have it.

P&P = plug & play, which means all you do is literally plug it in and go. There is no modification necessary.

Please do not get a P&P kit for your stock halogen reflector headlights. If you're going to get an HID kit, retrofit projectors into your headlights. From my past research, eBay projectors are garbage. Your best way to ensure you get the best light output and cut off is to retrofit projectors into your stock headlights.

There is a sticky I recently created regarding P&P vs. OEM / retrofit. Do read =). It explains why you shouldn't use a P&P kit with stock halogen reflectors.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ this read what he said

1999EM1

Okay, so I'll take him up on his offer if he's going to put HID projectors into my headlights.Thanks guys.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
He's probably just going to install a P&P HID kit. Most people don't know anything about actual retrofits these days and just slap in a P&P HID kit in their stock halogen reflector headlights.

Ask him what exactly he's doing. $70 for a full retrofit sounds like a giant scam. I spent $210 and that was the cheaper route .

1999EM1

I'll definitely avoid it if he's going to put the HID kit in the stock halogen reflector. Thanks for the info.

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A proper retrofit is going to run $300+ doing a DIY depending on the quality.
$70 sounds like he's gonna drop in some eBay specials he got for $20-30 and profit the rest. doing the P&P is really easy. so he is probably raking in cash from the dumdums taking him up on the offer.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A proper retrofit is going to run $300+ doing a DIY depending on the quality.
$70 sounds like he's gonna drop in some eBay specials he got for $20-30 and profit the rest. doing the P&P is really easy. so he is probably raking in cash from the dumdums taking him up on the offer.
You can spend half of that for a retrofit. $110 for bixenon morimoto mini H1 projectors from theretrofitsource and $35 for a DDMTuning P&P HID kit. A relay harness is recommended but you don't necessarily NEED one.

I spent $210 for my setup (I got a relay harness) and it looks a TRILLION times better than ANY P&P kit would in stock halogen reflector headlights.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with what everyone else said. retro fit your headlights and a nice hid kit and your golden

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol @ me "port and polish"

plug n play duh :smackself. guess him mentioning a mechanic threw me off hehe