What is supposed to be bolted into these holes

Binary420

I took the head cover and rocker arm assembly off etc to replace the head gasket and other gaskets / orings etc

But now im in the process of putting everything back and cant figure out what these 2 holes are for

Any help or maybe a diagram for these?

There's 10 8mm that hold the rocker arm assembly down, and 4 6mm (2 on the left, 2 on the right)

These 2 holes are between the 2 6mm and the first column of 8mm bolts on the left side

Pic attached below

Thanks for any help you can offer

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
I found this photo by googling the rocker cover assembly. Maybe this will help?

The photo appears to only have 1 bolt that is in the hole closer to the firewall. Perhaps you could check YouTube for a "D16 Camshaft replacement" video. And then keep an eye out for when they pull the rocker assembly off.

Binary420

Thanks for the reply, and for your suggestion.

I have watched a few different videos, but none have mentioned these holes.

In the image you attached, the leftmost circled bolt is nearly directly on top of the of the upper of the 2 holes I circled.

but that bolt (the one in your pic, leftmost) is super short, not many threads on it a tall, certainly not enough to reach that hole.

Thats the upper of the 2 holes. They bottom hole appears to have been filled in with some kind of lead or metal epoxy or something.
It doesn't look like something that would be done at the factory, but I could most definitely be wrong about that, it could be for something like an option that wasn't included in my model, etc, I really don't know, but I'd really like to confirm whether or not this is suppose to be this way, cause the top hole is empty, and the bottom one is filled with lead or something similar

And the photo I uploaded in my OP appears to possibly have the same lead in that bottom hole but its not high enough quality to say for sure.

If anyone knows anything further about these holes, please share what you can. Thank you

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They bottom hole appears to have been filled in with some kind of lead or metal epoxy or something.
It doesn't look like something that would be done at the factory, but I could most definitely be wrong about that, it could be for something like an option that wasn't included in my model, etc, I really don't know, but I'd really like to confirm whether or not this is suppose to be this way, cause the top hole is empty, and the bottom one is filled with lead or something similar
My guess, it's been "filled" by the remainder of the bolt that used to be there, meaning at some point, someone broke it off and left it.