What is the quietest catback for my 98 hatch?

1sichatch

So I just a b16a to swap into my 98 hatch and I want it to be quiet even with header. What is the quietest exhaust out to buy for my hatchback? Thanks in advance for the advice.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Stock exhaust is your best bet. No aftermarket cat backs will be as quiet as that. You could also just get a muffler such as the RSX Type S muffler.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you know what size that muffler is i.e. 2.25, 2.5?
From what I have researched...
02-04 type-s ... 2.14 ID

05-06 type-s ... 2.25ID

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From what I have researched...
02-04 type-s ... 2.14 ID

05-06 type-s ... 2.25ID
I think 02-04 is 1.75". Idk, I have one at home I can go measure it. OP, if you want it, just pay shipping lol.

Alonsotl05

Respected
I agree with them your best bet would be stock or getting an Rsx muffler. I personally have been looking for an exhaust that is very quiet and will give me the performance as well. I'm going to go after market though, probably getting the Apexi Ws2 exhaust system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Rsx muffler tip will poke out several inches past the bumper on a hatch. They fit better on a coupe. Apexi ws2 is exptremely quiet. It almost sounds stock with just a bit of tone. Tanabe touring medalion is a little louder but not much and has my favorite sound personally. If you choose any aftermarket bolt on cat back, buy fitment for an eg hatch so the front 3 bolt flange will match better with your header. What header are you running?

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust on my hatch. Very quiet, similar to an Apexi WS2.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do you have any bolt ons or anything like that? I'm curious to hear how it sounds with bolt ons or a turbo.

The exhaust is attached to my 11.5:1 B20VTEC motor. It does not sound like a normal engine anyway, but for the sake of reference I have an SMSP header and test pipe setup as well. At idle the car is pretty quiet, a slight increase in "bass" but otherwise low key. At cruising speeds/low-med load conditions the car sounds like my stock RSX Type S. At WOT it turns into a really deep and throaty sound but still not overly aggressive. If anything my motor is louder than the exhaust. I can talk to my passenger without yelling at any RPM.

Naturally, a turbocharger quiet down an exhaust compared to a naturally aspirated motor. Things to consider is that this exhaust is only 60mm, you will not make high peak HP with it because it is restrictive. My setup normally yields ~230WHP, whereas with this exhaust setup and conservative timing curves, it made 217WHP.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The exhaust is attached to my 11.5:1 B20VTEC motor. It does not sound like a normal engine anyway, but for the sake of reference I have an SMSP header and test pipe setup as well. At idle the car is pretty quiet, a slight increase in "bass" but otherwise low key. At cruising speeds/low-med load conditions the car sounds like my stock RSX Type S. At WOT it turns into a really deep and throaty sound but still not overly aggressive. If anything my motor is louder than the exhaust. I can talk to my passenger without yelling at any RPM.

Naturally, a turbocharger quiet down an exhaust compared to a naturally aspirated motor. Things to consider is that this exhaust is only 60mm, you will not make high peak HP with it because it is restrictive. My setup normally yields ~230WHP, whereas with this exhaust setup and conservative timing curves, it made 217WHP.
Yep, when I turbo'd my car, I went with a 3" eBay special exhaust with the intentions of using a Vibrant muffler. The eBay muffler was surprisingly quiet and not raspy at all with the turbo on. I ended up keeping it and returned the Vibrant muffler.

and oh hey! :hi:

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Do you have any bolt ons or anything like that? I'm curious to hear how it sounds with bolt ons or a turbo.

60mm piping with a chambered muffler is not the kind of exhaust setup you would run with a turbo. There's a few sound clips on YouTube for reference.

Alonsotl05

Respected

Gotcha! Thanks. Sounds like a good exhaust system for NA motors.