What kind of paint is this?

ScottyEj8

I was reading on another form that this is a special paint with metal particles, so it will start to rust but will not harm the surface underneath it. I am wondering how to find this paint and how because debating on doing the same thing to my civic. So if anyone knows how to find it or it's specific name that would be great.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I searched around and I'm really not sure. I found some rust colored spray paint but that's about it.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The effect is called "Patina", you see it on old hot rods and became pretty popular to add the old retro effect to classic cars. Some people clearly go a little overboard..

ScottyEj8

The effect is called "Patina", you see it on old hot rods and became pretty popular to add the old retro effect to classic cars. Some people clearly go a little overboard..
So the "Patina" effect can cause the bumpers which are plastic to look rusted as well?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So the "Patina" effect can cause the bumpers which are plastic to look rusted as well?
Yea, it's just a style of painting / finish. You can Google "How to Patina Car" and it will give you tons of YouTube videos on how to get that effect on your car.