What should i do first?

Aegis

5+ Year Member
Ok, so i just got my car about a month ago, its a 98 ex coupe. It's completely stock and i was trying to figure out what i should do first. I was thinking to save up some money and buy some good quality upgrades instead of buying more shitty things with less money. I can't decide whether i want to get better suspension with lowering springs, rims, or exhaust, something like GReddy or Apexi N1. I just bought a system and i'm going to install that soon. So in your opinion, what do you think the first mod i should do to my car is?

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
save up and do a B swap, like a b20 or somthing, thats what Im doing, but if you really want to throw some upgrades on now, get some that you can put on the engine youll be getting later. I have an exhaust, intake, and external coil and most of those parts (excluding the dist. cap and headers I have) can be put on to the b20 im getting.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
change to 99-00 tailights the orange ones bother me

mint

Club Civic Sanny!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first things first, make a list.. plan what you actually want out of this car!? Look around on here etc for insperation on what you want it to come out like etc, source good/cheap parts and get doing, attack that list with all the money you can spend lol thats how my ones coming along nicely!

My opinion, Quality>Quantity!

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
don't do anything they say until you run regular maintenance and check for any other problems. It will save you a lifetime of headaches if you take your car to like....a napa shop or goodyear and have them run a diagnostics. Anything else that bothers you as well...little things. Such as a loose steering column, weird noises, awkward braking. ANYTHING i'm telling you from first hand experience. Check for all problems, and possible problems in the future that won't be fixed anytime soon, or won't be fixed by any of ur upgrades....then you can lower and get rims. Cuz that always makes a car look nice. I have a spring/shock combo and its alright, but I wish I had saved the money and went towards a Name Brand Full-coilover set-up. I have a '95 coupe with your engine and transmission, so i'd be able to help you when it comes to that....

Aegis

5+ Year Member
Alright, so i my friend and i are going to do a few minor things on tuesday such as: DIY Grill, minor things with the headlights and we're going to smoke the bottom part of the tail lights so its red/smoked. I dont like the orange on the tail lights either. But should i really save up and do a B swap?

As for things such as weird noises. One of the speakers in the back makes a weird noise when my music isn't up very much. It doesn't sound blown, its a little high pitched wavy sound that will last for a few seconds.

Aegis

5+ Year Member
Oh yeah, that's the other thing i was going to do. And a radar detector. Whats a reliable alarm system to buy?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Don't rush into anything. And most definately do not do anythign that cannot be easily undone. This soon into the game it would suck for you to add sidemarkers or cut out the grill(s) just for you to later want intact parts in the next few months or a year even. Sure, you could probably get replacement parts at the junkyard, but first that's a hassle, and second, the panels stand a good chance that they won't match.

For the most part, save you rmoney for now. Maybe get some wheels, suspension add-ons, new tires. Again though, don't buy the first thing you like. Save that cash and maybe make a list on you computer or something of parts you're interested in. Keep track of where you find good deals for those parts too so later on if you o decide you definately want those parts, you can get the best deal.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say put on a good suspension first before anything. After that then throw in the motor swap with the bolt-ons.

Blk05Civic

Reppin HX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would go with suspension and good quality coilovers. im sure you can find some deals here on the sponsor sites or on honda-tech.com. once your car handles like a dream then do bolt ons or motor swap. i did bolt ons before suspension, it was weird.

nitebeest

5+ Year Member
Have my car be the test car. Then we can work on your car when we know what we're totally doing. =D. I like how the red/black tail lights turned out tonight though. Yours are next up on the to do list.