What should I do with my 97' civic?!

Shocka

5+ Year Member
Alright so my mom has drove htis car since it came out and it has an amazing 178k miles :shock: and basically instead of getting me a new car for graduation like she said she was she gives me this and buys herself a new car. So about 2months before this I started saving up money to do some minor customizations to whenever I got a car, and I have about 800 right now. Is it worth doing anything to a car with mileage like this? If so what should I do, I already have a system.

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
depends what your plans are.. do you want a fast car.. nice looking one? and other than that $800 hows your money situation.

Shocka

5+ Year Member
Form my job i get about 300 a week. Right now i just want it to look pretty good. I forgot to add everysince I've had this car it has broken down often. Atleast Every month it goes in the shop.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They run forever as long as you keep up on servicing it. Got any pics?

Shocka

5+ Year Member
No pics right now I can tommrow, right now I think I have to get a new alternator for it casue it wont even start and it has a bad oil leak. :(

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like it has some problems. i would take that 800 you have and fix the stuff that is wrong with it. this way you atleast have a reliable car to drive. then you can start to work on the physical appearance. just keep it clean. a nice drop, wheels, and a lip and your set. ;)

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you don't wanna fix that motor then save up and swap it. Or get another d and put in there, the are cheap.

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say use that $800 and throw an LS in there for now.. then make it look good.. then turbo

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That system you probably put in your car probably blew your alternator. Back when I was younger and used to think having the loudest system in the city was cool I blew so many alternators on my buick. Until my s**t got jacked and Ive never had subs again, not worth it. That s**t makes your car a target for boosters wanting easy-liftables from your trunk or cabin.

Anyways, with that many miles, have you thought about seeing how much you can get for selling the whole car? maybe sell the car and see what other kind of civic you can find for that money? You could probably find a lower-mileage engine, and a car without a service history that you could pickup for cheap and start with that. I mean if the cars going to be going to the shop all the time, why waste time with it? Ive found that its going to cost more to be spending money on a car free or cheap car to keep it running then the upfront spend a little more for a car that wont be going to the shop and is going to be nicer overall.

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if that car has so many problems, i would get a low milage JDM D-series from hmotoronline.com. give them a call though and don't just go by what's on there site. I remember when i was ordering my transmission, i asked him how much a complete Y8 engine and tranny was and he said 900 shipped anywhere so that might be a good option for you. What trim level is the civic. ex? dx? if it's anything but an ex, then you'll get a little performance boost from the Y8 engine.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
postal21 said:
That system you probably put in your car probably blew your alternator. Back when I was younger and used to think having the loudest system in the city was cool I blew so many alternators on my buick. Until my s**t got jacked and Ive never had subs again, not worth it. That s**t makes your car a target for boosters wanting easy-liftables from your trunk or cabin.

Anyways, with that many miles, have you thought about seeing how much you can get for selling the whole car? maybe sell the car and see what other kind of civic you can find for that money? You could probably find a lower-mileage engine, and a car without a service history that you could pickup for cheap and start with that. I mean if the cars going to be going to the shop all the time, why waste time with it? Ive found that its going to cost more to be spending money on a car free or cheap car to keep it running then the upfront spend a little more for a car that wont be going to the shop and is going to be nicer overall.
I must be lucky. 2 cars and never messed up an alternator.