What to do next?

Big Damo

Hello folks, newbie to club civic but been an admirer from a distance for a long time.

I currently own an ej8 with the d16y8 engine.

Current mods include a cold air induction system, Stainless rear silencer and an uorated stainless manifold.

The car has 173,000 miles on the clock and is in need of a service.

This morning i took the old girl to a rolling road session and she acheived 117bhp at 6835rpm and 99ft-lb at 2840rpm.

Id like to get around 150-160bhp and alot more torque from her, i dont really fancy an engine swap or turbo as id like to keep the original d16y8.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as ive been away from the scene for a while .

Kind regards Damo

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
whats your reason for sticking with the single cam when you want to make power, instead of it just being a daily driver?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
whats the reason for no turbo? i would give nitrous a shot, would suck having to refill the bottle though.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
if you're going to waste money on trying to make power on a n/a single slammer, my first question is what are you willing to spend and what kind of mods are you willing to do.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You won't make power out of a D series unless you either spend way too much money on NA, or boost it. And with the high miles that your motor has, boost might not be the best option.

Everyone on your side of the pond swaps in B/K series motors ecause it's the only reasonable thing to do to make power other than forced induction.

As stated above though, whats your budget?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd focus more on handling and weight reduction than pure power if you want to stick with the SOHC. You could port your intake manifold and upgrade to a b-series throttle body for an easy upgrade that won't cost a lot though.