What you guys think....

TMav

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can't decide between these two head lights for my 96 EX Red

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-HALO-JDM-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8076596892QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TYC-96-98-HONDA-CIVIC-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-JDM-BLACK-97_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8077178075QQrdZ1

Any feed back would greatly appreciated.

Is it true that you have to remove the bummer to remove the head lights? If so, is there any instruction of how to remove the bumber?

Thanks a bunch fellas..

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i wouldn't choose any of them bro...i'd go with some clear or black housing...stock style...but if i had to pick between the 2 i'd pick the second one...

TMav

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bmoua said:
i wouldn't choose any of them bro...i'd go with some clear or black housing...stock style...but if i had to pick between the 2 i'd pick the second one...
Is there a problem with these type of head lights? Or do you had bad experienced with it?

Thanks

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you want projectors, get the tyc ones. good quality

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
both of those stink man, the three people i know that had projectors said the vision at night is worse that stock headlights, they only put them on cause they looked cool, but those don't even look cool anymore man, heres mine, stock style just black housing, i got them off my friend for $17 haha

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would get the bottom ones. I don't like the look of the really shiny chrome looking housings.

red4

VW in the house...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say skip both of those and just go with some headlights without the orange reflector. much better visibility then you'll get from either of those.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
TMav said:
I can't decide between these two head lights for my 96 EX Red

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-HALO-JDM-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8076596892QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TYC-96-98-HONDA-CIVIC-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-JDM-BLACK-97_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8077178075QQrdZ1

Any feed back would greatly appreciated.

Is it true that you have to remove the bummer to remove the head lights? If so, is there any instruction of how to remove the bumber?

Thanks a bunch fellas..
Yes, you have to remove the bumper to remove the headlights.

On a stock front bumper on a 6th gen:

- Two 10mm bolts on the underside middle front of the bumper. They should be around a foot apart or so.

- Pop the hood. There will be seven (I think seven...) clips on top of the upper grill shell. On most cars they can be removed by plucking them off with a flathead screwdriver. I believe the '96s have phillips-head holes though.

- Two phillips-tip screws in the wheel wells. One on each side right below the headlight on the tip of the bumper.

After that disconnect any foglights you might have on the bumper. Then pull out either corner of the bumper so it's not caught on anything. Go around to the front middle and pull the entire bumper off.

There will be a metal "eyelash" of sorts underneath each headlight. They will have two 10mm bolts holding them to the chassis. Remove the "lashes".

Now you should ake sure the headlights are unplugged. Remove the black boots and then unplug the large black plug from the back of each light. Sometimes they will stick. Just pink one side (there is a tiny clip on either side) and lean it as far in the opposite direction as possible. Then press the other side and remove the plug.

Then there will be four 10mm bolts on each headlight. One under the fender, one at the middle point of the headlight, and two on top. Undo those.

After this slowly and gently pull away the headlight. In te outside corner there is a plug for the turn signal. Twist it to remove it.

Do the opposite to reassemble the front end of the car.

Btw, this sounds FAR more complicated than it really is. =)

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ You forgot the two screws on the underside of the bumper in the front corners.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Trey99EK said:
^^ You forgot the two screws on the underside of the bumper in the front corners.
The two bolts on the front underside I got first. I also said the two screws in the corners of the bumper later (after I removed the clips in the grill).

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you think you will be going with polished or metal colored rims.. and other accents.. chrome etc.. get the first

if you think that you will be going with black rims c/f hood etc.. get the second ones..

get whichever you envision fitting the overall scheme of your car better..

MugenShox

Banned
neither, but if u MUST get projectors get the black housing...

i would rather splurge and get some JDM Black CTRs ;)

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, Its not really taking off the "bumper" as much as it is taking off the "plastic bumper cover"... lol.

I can literally disassemble and take off my bumper-grill area on my car in about 2minutes, Once youve done it, and know where the bolts and screws are you can just fly. Id suggest black-housing if you are going to do it.

Also, my SONAR halos are pretty junky overall. After taking apart my left-one to clean it and try to keep it from fogging, Ive eliminated about 90% of the foggin that it produces, but its perminately has a certain yellow-hue to it, that really bothers me. The headlights can look pretty sharp inside your car, just pray the seals on them hold, because once they leak they get ruined very quickly.

And on visibility, they really dont produce as much light as OEMs or CTRS. I think they would if you actually put real HIDS in there, but thats expensive and not worth all the effort. You will notice they dont seem the spread very far to the right or left of the road. You might be able to adjust them to get more light flow, but I personally dont want to take the 3 hours of sitting back in the dark moving the adjustable bolts to see how the light-beam moves and adjusts, they are straight enough for now... heh. Oh and I never even hooked up my halos, Ive had them for atleast a year... I need to do that im just afraid of stripping and splicing onto my parking lights without f**king them up. I need to get my electrician friend to do it for me when hes free..

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
The two bolts on the front underside I got first. I also said the two screws in the corners of the bumper later (after I removed the clips in the grill).
Sorry, I read over that. Just covering your back.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wait you are talking about the screws by the tires. I have screw in the fron on the bottom too. Like right under the foglight holes. They hold the fenderwell splashguard on.

TMav

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Great info fellas, and thank you very much for feed back.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Trey99EK said:
Wait you are talking about the screws by the tires. I have screw in the fron on the bottom too. Like right under the foglight holes. They hold the fenderwell splashguard on.
I've messed with '96, '97, and '98s and I've never seen that before. He has a '96, so I'm pretty sure I covered everything for him. The only difference between his and '97-'98s are the grill clips on top might be screw type instead of pop-up.

'96-'98s have, once again:
- a phillips-tip screw in each wheel well at the corner of the front bumper.
- two 10mm bolts on the front underside of the bumper towards the middle.
- seven (I think...) clips on top of the upper grill. Clips explained above.

I imagine only '99-'00s have those two screws you're talking about.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Never noticed that. I'll have to check out my buddies 96 when I see him again.