Whats the best suspension for my 93 coupe?

CrisCoupe

I just got a 93 coupe ex im pretty new to CC. Im looking to get rid of these ebay coilovers and burn them that are on my car now! What suspension is suggested to buy for a fair price. Thsi car will be my DD i have been looking into yokana it seems good but i also see that black works has a deal right now. I like it to be low and eventually wanna make it hella flush! Any help would be greatly apprciated! Thanks!

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first of welcome to the site and secondly I just wanna warn you, you will probably get hazed for wanting to go hellaflush since most people on here are into the "jdm" look. but you will find a friend in 1sikcivic lol he's really into the euro scene/hellaflush and also a couple other people here and there. From what I've read function and form type 1's are a good set up to slam, also skunk 2's coilover set up is pretty good cause they have some very high spring rates. Best advice I can give you is do your research and use google!

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Let the flaming commence lol jk. Their are plenty of options to go with you may want to read up on people's thoughts of those products to check for comfort and performance aspect. I don't know how good blackworks suspension is but I've heard of fairly good remarks on some of their items.

CrisCoupe

okay lol lets take off that hellaflsuh idea!! i really just want it for ride quilty and handling! i have read up and i hear some things here and there but i really just want some input on the black works setup.. Coilovers LCAs and subframe brace?? Thanks to both of you thoe for sure for the replys

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haven't heard much about their coilovers, people on here don't use them that much (at least I don't remember reading about them using them), LCA's are pretty much rated by how long the bushings last and so far I haven't heard anything bad about them. and as far as the subframe brace you won't need that unless you're planning on upgrading the rear sway bar.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
go function and form, or progress.

CrisCoupe

Yeah i cant really find anything about people using them. I just saw that they sold them on here so i assumed that people would know about them? And i am planning on doing all the suspension to the car i am starting with the coilovers and LCAs first more just worried about the coilovers now. I herd that the yokana werent a bad brand but then i found that black works on here for not that much more and thats a brand i have always herd of.. I dont want to crazy with money but i am also not a fan of taking the cheap way out and having a bad product!

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
then you are on the right track with that mentality. function and form type 1's can be had for about $700 ish. and those will slam your ride and also handle quite well. or if your looking for a mild drop but good handling coilovers go with progress cs-II's, I've read that they make a great beginner auto-x set up and you can get them for about $600. Another set up that is probably the best bang for the buck but costs about $800-900 depending on where you buy them is koni yellows/ground control coilover springs. it just depends on how much you're willing to spend

CrisCoupe

yeahh im looking at these function form coilovers now but idk and yeahh i have herd alot about the progress ll i was always thinking about that and that is what i orginally planned to gow ith but the ground controls would be gret but idk if im willing to go that high just because its two difffrent brand suspension and i dont really wanna do that id rather buy it as a whole then do two seperate jsut how i look at it. But see im going back to the black works because right now CC has the deal if you buy them and the LCAs whitch is orginally like 700 for the coilovers.. but you save like 200 getting them together..

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there are 2 guys on here that are heavily into auto-x and both of them swear by the koni yellow/gc coilovers and say that its one of the most popular set ups out there. and the reason they are on sale is cause nobody wants to buy them... cause they aren't that great, I mean sure they'll give you a nice drop but, how long will they last? it all comes down to what is pretty much the motto for honda tuners (and pretty much any other tuner)... "you gotta pay to play", you want to have a good set up you'll have to hand out the cash... thats the way it goes

CrisCoupe

yes that is right. i was looking into that set up and i think thats a good point and im probly now wanting to go with that setup but i cant find them anywhere really as a package with the two?? do they coem that wya do you know?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no they don't, you have to buy them seperate. I actually just bought a set of koni yellows from a site sponser/vendor for like 350 with shipping his screen name is eatsleepjdm and he'll hook you up with a great deal. He might even be able to get you a good deal on the gc coilovers

edit: he currently has a poll thread wondering weather people would be interested in a "thanksgiving week" sale... its somewhere on here, I'll see if I can find it and link it for you

here's the link to his tread page http://www.clubcivic.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=187

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you want to ride slammed, you'll definitely want high spring rates to compensate for lack of room for shock travel. I'd also recommend a higher quality setup.

Koni / GC with extended top hats and custom rates. I would guess in the 6-700 range. Better to buy something once and be done with it.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Expensive is not always better people. I wish could find someone using blackworks. Maybe you should call and ask and see what they say. Check on warranty as well.

CrisCoupe

yeahh i really want to check out these black works and get soem feed back on them but i means stuff cost more for a reason.. im gonna look into that set up thanks man for the info

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Expensive is not always better people. I wish could find someone using blackworks. Maybe you should call and ask and see what they say. Check on warranty as well.
600-800 bucks is not expensive as far as suspension goes... just saying. Its not like tein where they are wayyyy over priced for the quality of the product $1000+ for a halfway decent set up is not a good deal. and if you call blackworks of course they are gonna sing the praises of their product

CrisCoupe

yeahh its not bad at all.. what suspension you running man? i actually looked under my car today and i dont een have a tie bar. i need to get this suspension going

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought my car with some dropzone shocks and coilovers and they ride like s***. I'm in the process of replacing them with koni yellows and gc coilovers.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hater tech bashes on everything. They'd swear my coilovers were the worst thing on the planet. yet my last set on my other car and my ride now are perfectly fine....friends of mine have ridden on them for years as well. Its hard to trust most things online, but really the people that can give the best insight are the ones who actually own and ride on the individual setups.

to most people's surprise, there are a lot of good suspension setups out there....the biggest problem is people using the suspensions for things that they aren't built to handle. Slamming on the wrond setups, auto-x on the wrong spring rates and so on.
With LCA's, the best would actually be oem LCA's with upgraded bushings. Most people dont consider how long oem bushings last through all kinds of driving.

Another thing to consider, is suspension is subjective. Everyone doesn't feel that a 8k spring is hard or vice versa. So what you feel comfortable with is going to be up to you. If you have friends with different setups, its best to ride with them to get an idea or what you want and then find a reputable product that fits your needs. There are tons of quality setups that i would despise simply because my butt doesn't like them.