What's the fastest driving route from Virginia to Utah?

SnowCivic

5+ Year Member
I'll be leaving Virginia Beach at 4:30pm on Friday, December 16th. I have a friend driving with me, so we ONLY plan on stopping for food and gas. The goal is to get there by Sunday morning. I know it's possible, and I did this drive myself in May, and it only took 40 hours (including stops). I'm just not sure how cooperative the weather is going to be.

Cliffnotes:
-Have a partner driver.
-Need to make it to Utah in less than 39 hours.
-I drove I80 in May, and was told that it'd be bad to drive in December.

SnowCivic

5+ Year Member
I know how to use Google maps. I'm asking the route you guys would take. Google doesn't account for weather conditions, or personal experience.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well to avoid the most snow possible I'd take I40 but its 41hrs...

Tamerin

Pick the straightest shot possible, and simply use a GPS during the trip to get around traffic. That's the best way from VA, cause most of the traffic will be in VA anyways.

That, and be sure to use "ludicrous speed".....

SnowCivic

5+ Year Member
well to avoid the most snow possible I'd take I40 but its 41hrs...
That was my original plan. I was going to cut through Amarillo, then head north in Albuquerque. I have a buddy leaving for two years Sunday morning, and I can't leave until Friday night. Hence, the time constraints.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea I see what you mean. If you were to go that route I'd set the cruise control at like 10 or 15 over... you'd be able to shave about 10 mins off every hour of driving that google says you have, so you could theoretically shave off about 5 or 6 hours... making it about 36 or 37 hours :what:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea I see what you mean. If you were to go that route I'd set the cruise control at like 10 or 15 over... you'd be able to shave about 10 mins off every hour of driving that google says you have, so you could theoretically shave off about 5 or 6 hours... making it about 36 or 37 hours :what:
Probably not a good idea, especially in December. It's fairly likely that there will be inclement weather and the end of the year/holiday season there are always more cops on the roads.

Why do you NEED to get there in less than 39 hours? If you're going to be cutting it that close either adjust your schedule or get on a plane.

SnowCivic

5+ Year Member
Awesome dude. Thanks so much. I'm thinking that's the way we'll be going. Any additional input is cool too!

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome dude. Thanks so much. I'm thinking that's the way we'll be going. Any additional input is cool too!
get a radar detector and watch out for cops lol. also you could save time by packing food, also bringing a couple empty water bottles to take a piss in might help :what: haha

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do you have going on Friday that you can't cancel?

SnowCivic

5+ Year Member
What do you have going on Friday that you can't cancel?
I have two finals that day for college, and my professors already declined me taking them early. And my driving partner flies in while I'm in school. So once school gets out, I'm hitting the airport, then we're on the way. Like I said though, I did the drive solo in 40 hours, with stops. I'm thinking with someone to help, we just drive in shifts, pack food, and just stop for gas and restrooms. Weather is my biggest concern.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you take i40 the only place I'd worry about is northern new mexico and on up into utah, north texas is going to be fine, north carolina is going to be about the same weather you'll be having in virgina, tennessee should be ok ish and arkansas and oklahoma are going to be fine, maybe a little snow

SnowCivic

5+ Year Member
if you take i40 the only place I'd worry about is northern new mexico and on up into utah, north texas is going to be fine, north carolina is going to be about the same weather you'll be having in virgina, tennessee should be ok ish and arkansas and oklahoma are going to be fine, maybe a little snow
I'm totally fine driving in the snow really. I've lived in Utah for 12 years now. Long story short, I moved to VA to get out of Utah, but now I'm going back. VA sucks, and it's expensive. It's not that I have a problem in the snow, I just don't want to hit road closures. My Civic is lacking in the AWD/4WD department.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What part of utah?

Have u considered I70?
And I80 should be passable. I would rather take it than drive through Texas any day!