when mod'ing an engine is there generally an order for parts to mod?

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
yea im a pretty hands on learner, once i take it apart and put it back together i pretty much got it down pat. im planning on going to UTI for automotive and diesel next year, so that'll be helpfull when im working on my own car.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
That's how you really learn how to do stuff, when something breaks don't pay a billion dollars to get a mechanic to do it, grab a Hanes book and read up how to do it and do it your self. Most of it is common sense. That's the best way to do it and it gives you bragging rights and a sense of pride in your car, and a bit more money in your pocket lol.

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
exactly! i hate having other people do my work.. if you want it done right, do it yourself. the only time i have a mechanic do work for me is when i cant get the tools to do it. and your right, it deffinitely makes you a hell of a lot prouder of your car.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's how you really learn how to do stuff, when something breaks don't pay a billion dollars to get a mechanic to do it, grab a Hanes book and read up how to do it and do it your self. Most of it is common sense. That's the best way to do it and it gives you bragging rights and a sense of pride in your car, and a bit more money in your pocket lol.
^^this. there is nothing like the feeling of knowing you did the work yourself and saved a bunch of money while in the process. For example the timing belt... For me it was do it myself and spend 2 days work worth of money for the kit or spend 2 weeks work worth of money... It puts things in perspective lol

Cobl18

Registered VIP
yeah anyone can pay a mechanic to d work on their car, but if you want to be original and have pride in your car doing it yourself is the best way.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^this. there is nothing like the feeling of knowing you did the work yourself and saved a bunch of money while in the process
Exactly. Except on big jobs I'll usually go to my friends for help. I love learning but I don't have confidence in myself at all. So timing belt replacement and clutch / flywheel replacement were done by my friends.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
yeah when i did my timing belt i asked my dad for help, total pain to do but it got done and i did it myself that's all that counts!

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i was jsut wondering, i have a d16y8. do you know if you have v-tec? if you want to know what it is its engraved in the front of your block.

epic_civic

i was jsut wondering, i have a d16y8. do you know if you have v-tec? if you want to know what it is its engraved in the front of your block.
from the sounds of it is completely stock which the engine would be a d17a1 which is non vtec. i would swap something else in there if you really want more power. A K swap would be pretty sweet!!

Cobl18

Registered VIP
ahh i feel so stupid fr some reason i thought it said 2000 civic making it a 6th gen.... oops -_-

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K swaps are expensive. Lots of money, even more if you are having a shop do it.

D series is not made for performance. Not saying that they can't handle it, just saying that they were built for gas mileage and commuting. A lot of money to build up and not much gain on power unless you boost it. I.H.E. is a complete waste of money unless you are going for looks and sound.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
K swaps are expensive. Lots of money, even more if you are having a shop do it.
Prices have gone down a lot since people started swapping them into Civic's. I've read and heard you can buy "plug and play" kits now. You don't even need a K20A2 or type r swap. Even a K24 with a 6 speed would be a HUGE upgrade from a d-series. A lot of people run K24's and they're still pretty quick.

locosammy

Hey man from reading all this and know your on a budget like i am with my 95 civic i would deff would start at upgrading your brakes and lines. Do you have discs or drums in the rear of your civic? If you have drums you can look into a disc swap from a diff honda or acura that will fit. Also think about how big of wheels would you like to go because it will determine how big of brakes to get. Suspension like you have been told already is one of the biggest things that most people dont realize can make a big diff on the power you are putting to the ground. You do not have to go with big name brands to get the same performance out of suspension but some will be better than others. when it comes to performance it is not cheap and you will pay roughly $1 or more per hp. If you are planning on staying with the engine you have then you want to start looking at how much parts are going to cost to make it a vtec and all the other necessary hardware to get the job done. You can always have the bottom end rebuilt to factory specs or even bigger pistons and better rods on stock crank. After all this is done worry about getting it running correctly on the car first before buying anything else. Things like intake can be put together through your local auto parts store to save money. Headers, test pipe (high flow cat), and exhasut you can do your self in your garage or with help of buddies. Working on it your self will get you to know the car better, a sence of accomplishment and money in your pocket. Do your research and find the best prices before you buy. Ebay is not always the cheapest! Forums like this one usually have parts being sold to save you money and help someone else out.