where to start?

TurbodSi

5+ Year Member
im looking to build my 00 Si, b16a2..i so far have i/h/e..im getting an apexi safc that was givin to me hooked up..but after that do look at chipped ecus, or go with cams or what..id like to get to low 14's before putting turbo or s/c on..lookin for advice, let me know..thanks, mike

jdmferio

5+ Year Member
maybe an intake manafoild that would b best cause if ur going turbo it would b best 2 wait on cams till u get da turbo then get turbo cams

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't seem to know where you're going with this ....

An SAFC will be completely pointless (moreso than it already is) once you get a chipped ecu with a good basemap. Also, any NA mods that will pull you into low 14's will be counter productive for when you want to turbo. To go that low without boosting, you're going to have to build your compression higher, which is rather counterproductive for a safe and effective turbo build.

If you plan on turboing, but want to build first, plan on spending a lot of money and getting no instant result. Building a good turbo setup, like flat-top forged pistons, GSR cams, a thicker head gasket, Eagle or TT rods, ARP headstuds, double valve springs, upgraded valves + retainers ..... none of these will really make your car too much faster. You'll notice it, but it won't be potent like if you were gearing towards NA.

But all those would be worthwhile investments if you plan on turboing someday.

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say build your head with cams, retainers, springs for now like you said.. then when you want to turbo, build the bottom end.. but you wont see low 14's with that..remeber its a b16

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a itr or skunk2 mani,skunk2 stage 2 cams, cam gears, chipped ecu, and ground your vtec...after my 2 roomates grounded there vtec they said it made a good amount of difference...

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A lot of people are pointing you to increasing your air flow and fuel. This is the most important part to making your car fast. A SAFC is a cheap and unsafe way to manage your car and requires a lot of tuning. All it does is trick the ecu into running the maps off of the SAFC. Sell it to someone take the money get a chipped ecu like a p28. Your car is obd2 so convert it to obd1 using a jumper harness and obd1chipped ecu(p28). Use uberdata, chrome, hondata to tune your car. Upgrade the intake manifold, throttle body, better plugs, wires, ctr cams are pretty decent for na and turbo applications. Upgrade your suspension will show a lot of difference to you. Better clutch, shoft shifter. A good built motor for boost is the way to go but if you don't know where to start and how to build it you might be better off buying a built block from someone and swapping it in... GL with the build.