Which computer/ECU would be best for my application?

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well Im working on a mini me swap, and I already have a d16y8 head, with a d16y7 bottem. My buddy told me he has a ZC computer/ECU that would work fine, but I'm not really sure if it's my best ebt. Is there a better fit that I should look for instead of that? I just want something that would be the very best for my project. Thanks alot.

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you are probably best off using the p2p ecu, the 96-98 version with the obd2a...using the zc/p28 ecu will be a problem if emissions is a concern there, but the p28 ecu (92-95 d16z6) ecu is the most commonly used ecu

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Emissions are not a problem here. So I should be on the look out for a p2p obd2a ECU ?

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
then id look for a p28, get a obd2/obd1 conversion harness, that way you can get it tuned

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm.. so my friend selling his zc ecu is not a p28?

if i do this with the computer and harness, will i need to change my intake manifold and throttle body or can i just use my stock d16y7 set up?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i have a manual p2p ecu if you want it man....let me know!

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I need the P28, not the P2P? Im a little confused..

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need a p28 ecu and jumper harness. i have a p28 if u wanna shoot me an offer.

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
both the p2p and the p28 will work, if you use the p28 you will need a conversion harness, and the p28 is more tunable

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so if I do get a p28, would I need to swap for a si intake manifold?

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you could use the y7 manifold, but id probably look for a y8 manifol and tb

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why? i cant see it making a huge difference?

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it doesnt make that huge of a difference...when you go buy parts, just know which parts you need..dont buy an intake for a vtec motor, even though you have one, youre still using the y7 downward IM..

if you are not looking to squeeze every pony out of that motor, the y7 manifold will work perfectly fine. except wiring issues, i cant remember what it was, but one of the sensors runs three wires, but on the 5spd p2p that sensor only has 2 wires

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
guess i better start looking for the intake manifold then for a y8.