which motor for my 00 hb?

itwrx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I want to swap out the motor in my 2000 hb with something with some more power. I am looking at a b16a2 from an Si and a b16b JDM type R. For the price of the type r motor I can get a b16a2 and a vortech supercharger or turbo kit that should put out more power ( I also live at 6500 ft and was thinking that some forced induction would help me over come the altitude problems). Why is the type r motor swap such a popular one when you can do the other swap for the same or less money. Is ther a reason that I should do the JDM type r over a JDM b16a2 with forced induction? I know that the type r motor puts out more total power but the30 or so hp differnece doesn't seep worth the extra expense espically when put next to a forced induction option. Also I live in the desert and want to retain my ac. Will the compressor/ac system I currently have in my car bolt on to either of these motors? I obviously want ot save as much mony as possible but I also want to do the job right the first time.
:idea:

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the reason the B16B costs so much is because you are basically paying for the Type R name. I think a B16A2 and a FI kit will make way more power for the same price as the B16B.

99CX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Basically the good things about the ITR(B18C5) and CTR(B16B) motors are there reliability, they are motors made for road cars, they produce very high horsepower per liter and will get good gas milage at the same time.

A turbo kit wont be as reliable as an all motor setup for sure, the best bang for your buck, taking in mind reliablity, for your setup, IMO would be a B16A2 (easy swap) and a Jackson Racing Supercharger on 6psi, this should put you into the mid 13's, and you wont have nearly as many reliability issues as a turbo kit, plus it will be cheaper than a vortech SC, and takes up alot less engine bay room. After that, you could do some head work on your motor (springs/retainers, valve job/port & polish) (Id personally stick with stock cams) and buy a hondata ecu, and get at 10psi pulley for your supercharger (Endyn makes one) and it should put you into the high 12's, and still very reliable.

Or you could just get and H22A swap and put a 75 shot on it and run 12's like me :D