which tach more accurate?

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i finally bit the bullet and bought an si cluster to replace my stock cluster w/ autometer tach. When i got the cluster in i noticed they are different by about 300 rpm's (witht the autometer being higher) so which one is correct.

ryanM

generally aftermarket tach's are more acurate than OE

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well here is why i ask... i think maybe aftermarket tachs are only considered more accurate because they have a more precise measurement. But I dont know if they are any more correct.. obviously the 2 tachs are getting slightly different signals, but wouldnt honda design the car so that the signal came from the most accurate point? I dont know where that is, but the aftermarket one is wired in right by the dizzy.

proshadetree

5+ Year Member
Factory tacs are more accurate tan cheap aftermarket.Good tacs normally to high priced for street use.But after all whats 300 rpm?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my vafc and autometer tach were both slightly different than my factory tach before i removed it.. i feel that the 2 aftermarket ones are both more acurate than stock when compared to factory redline specs.. the vafc has a peek hold function and stops right at the factory stated rev limit.. so to me that is DEAD on.. and due to it being digital i could literally read the number (VERY close to factory stated rev limit)

for the record the difference was VERY small i dont recall the exact number because its been years since i had a factory tach...