Whining noise from drive/timing belt area

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My d16y8 first started had whining/wheezing sound after i changes the water pump and all the belts.
I have taken off the p/s belt (trying to find out where the sounds coming from since is originating around there) and i also took off the alternator belt and it still had the same sound. Sometime i can hear it really well and other times i don't notice it. It also get louder with the more rpms.
I can hear the sound inside my cab with my magnaflow exhaust and with the windows up. I think if could be the a/c belt or the pulley since it fell apart when the pump was being changed. Maybe it could be the timing belt because i forgot to set it in time when i put it on and i realized this once i was almost done getting everything back together. I figured i didn't have to do anything since now of the gears can move when the belt was off or could not move freely. Does any one have any ideas of where this noise is coming from or has anyone had experience with this, anything will help, i am just hoping it doesn't kill my engine.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you 100% positive it's the engine? It could be the transmission. IIRC, a bad input shaft bearing can cause a whine sound. It should come and go as you hold the clutch in and out.

Just a thought..

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you 100% positive it's the engine? It could be the transmission. IIRC, a bad input shaft bearing can cause a whine sound. It should come and go as you hold the clutch in and out.

Just a thought..
not 100 percent i just figured this because it started after everything got changed. When i open my hood and press the throttle i can hear the whine sound around the belts but i can pick out exactly where. I can hardly hear it when it is idling.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i havea really strong feeling that it's your ac belt, a local down here had the same issue, cut the ac belt and sound was gone

RonJ

Banned
As mentioned, remove all three drive belts to see if the sound goes away. Also check whether pressing the clutch up and down has any effect on the sound. You also may want to crawl under the car to look for a cracked exhaust heat shield.

civic0918

Registered VIP
maybe just because they are new and need broke in? maybe i would wait a day or two to see if it goes away.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i took off all my belts and it still makes that sound, i almost sounds like its coming from under my timing belt cover, Could my timing belt be too tight? Is there a way to loosen it with out taking off the bottom cover?

RonJ

Banned
Did you install the timing belt? If so, how did you tension it?

Otherwise, the noise could also be from a bad tensioner or water pump.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
about a month ago when i changed the water pump and all the belts, and i didn't know i had to tension it, so i put it on to where it felt like it was tight

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would say he put too much tension in the belt, the chances of the tensioner going bad just like that are slim.

An over tensioned timing belt will whine, and wear the HELL out of the cam journals on that side of the motor.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is there any way to get it to the correct tension with out taking the bottom cover off?

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i had to rip the top cover off because one of the bolts that kept the cover on was stripped, and not the noise is a lot more noticeable. i can try to loosen the bottom cover to see if that stops the noise. In the manual it says i just need to take the top cover off and turn the bolt 180 degrees crank it and tighten it back on. I really hope i do not have to take everything back off just to adjust it..