Why did this site die, and how to fix it.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
One of our bigger challenges is that we have two competing forums that have "forum" in their name:
-hondacivicforums.com
-civicforums.com

This places them before us in Google when somebody types "civic forum." There's nothing we can do about that without changing our name, which isn't really an option. No amount of SEO is going to get us ahead of a site with the name that matches the search results.

However, we do come up when you search for various car issues. That's a plus, and it does get people here. Honestly, I think we have enough site hits per day. The issue is just getting people to stay.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
One of our bigger challenges is that we have two competing forums that have "forum" in their name:
-hondacivicforums.com
-civicforums.com

This places them before us in Google when somebody types "civic forum." There's nothing we can do about that without changing our name, which isn't really an option. No amount of SEO is going to get us ahead of a site with the name that matches the search results.

However, we do come up when you search for various car issues. That's a plus, and it does get people here. Honestly, I think we have enough site hits per day. The issue is just getting people to stay.
Dead :nod:

I think you mean HondaCivicForum.com

Also, we are 4th on the list, under 9thgencivic.com

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Whoops. You done found me out. Thanks for the correction.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
-hondacivicforums.com
-civicforums.com

ClubCivicForum.com is an available domain name though. We can always register that and use at as an alias, though I'm not sure that would work...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You could just have it redirect to clubcivic
I know, I'm just not sure that having it as an alias will bump it up on search engines if someone types "civic forum".

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm also not sure that Justin really wants to pay for another domain name..

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:lol:

On another note, the sneaky mods have something in the works. Not releasing any details yet, but be on the lookout for some shiny new updates.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I agree that we as forum users are a slowing breed. Social media drives the majority of the younger generation. They have to have everything right now. It's not a bad thing but their sense of community is far different than many of us who came up with only having our local friends to help us figure things out. When the internet started playing a large role in the communities like this it was a huge help. We were able to mass communicate at a pivotal time in the industry. The skills and knowledge of others in the varying attempts to modify different things were, in our eyes, just a couple of clicks away. The day or two we might have waited was nothing as it cut so much time off of trying to figure it out if you were not strong in a particular area. Now, so many things have been done and recreated so many times there is such a vast pool of information that can be had at any given time. For me, the forums are more so for the community than the technical. Yes, I do use the technical side from time to time but I've learned so much from the many years of use, I'm not finding myself in need as often. I'd guess this also comes to the fact that I have continued to own an EM1 since 2001. My need to change my tech knowledge isn't great as my platform has stayed steady and I've not wanted to go terribly outside of the box. At the same time, many numbers of the "old" community have since left the scene, for generally, life change decisions. Families and "adult" jobs leave less and less time for many. Factor the horrid economy and you see an even larger down trend in the "OG" type persons. They might have had to sell off or just stop because the bills of life overcame. Many younger do not have the same issues as they live at home, are in school or have just generally different circumstances. I've been fortunate to have transitioned from military life to working as a civilian for the DOD. While my job has had budgetary issues that slimmed my ability to mod for the above "family first" kind of issues, I am in a steady career. I also married someone who, to a degree, understands my obsession and passion for cars. I waited to marry until I found that person. That is in no way a blow to anyone who has a different family life, but its worked out well in the large picture for me to be where I am now. I've been able to find a good balance in my time to work on my projects and spend time with my wife. I always make sure I remember she comes first and my car stuff is second. Thus my large part of missing so much last year.

How do you fix the decline in forum activity? Likely there isn't much in the way of a fix. Again, it's the different lifestyle of community that we have transitioned into with the age of social media and the younger generation that knows only that lifestyle. The real key is that we continue to present the community face that we all remember. Never forget where we came from. Remember, for every new person asking that "lame" or "repeated" question, there was that time that many of us had to ask it. And for many of us "old guys" we didn't have this resource in the beginning. Older and senior members should play that active role in trying to correct situations, but Mods should lay the hammer down in public to the older and senior members who are part of the problem. This reinforces to the younger persons that, just because you are senior, doesn't mean you can walk all over people. And senior members need to remember that the sarcasm and abrasive attitude that many may know, is unknown to the new people. Be gentle to them and break them in easy to who you really are...haha. They don’t know you are joking, they think you are being a total douche! :P

And in the aspect of meeting new people at events, take Import Alliance for example, welcome the new guys/gals. Actually meeting members is a great way to connect the forum life to reality. New guys/gals, don’t be shy, if you see a forum shirt/hat/sticker or whatever, introduce yourself. You might not know the username any more than we might, but when you go back to forum you can associate it when you come across that person. I try to take the time to thank those whom I meet in the forum setting so maybe they can place me. I spent this past weekend at IA in KY. Most of Saturday was spent meeting and talking to loads of new people, mainly from EM1Crew. The social media drive helped me catch up with some forum users and many of the Facebook version of the site. Really, I'd say I met more truly new people this weekend than any other meet in the past. Most of the people I met for the first time in the past I had conversed with for a long time on the forums and we had helped each other out.

And while I hate the grammar issues and the abbreviations we are seeing trend more and more, we have to understand that many in that younger generation are just going to use it. I would prefer it wasn't around at all either, but in this setting, there isn't a lot to be done. We can only hope the offenders have proper education in English and Grammar to better themselves in the real and functioning world.

/end old guy banter...lol.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Holy s*** dude :lol:

To add to that, as far as the sense of community goes now, I totally know what you mean. It's just a different scene now for these people jumping on the wagon. When I had my 04 WRX, everyone was super chill with each other, people were modding like crazy and sharing tips, etc. EVERY guy in a WRX or STI waved at each other the way bikers do (or used to). Not so much anymore, and most of the guys driving the new gens, who never owned one before, are straight up douchebags. The guys who move from old models to new still try to be friendly, but it's not the same anymore. The times are a changin...

andrewthesith

Darth "The Si" Vader
i also think this forum vs. civic-eg, Honda-Tech, S2Ki, and a lot of others... even CRSX, seem very "busy" as far as the layout and functionality go.

3 ads per page, TONS of visible links, etc. it's hard to take it all in sometimes, especially for a newbie.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
And while I hate the grammar issues and the abbreviations we are seeing trend more and more, we have to understand that many in that younger generation are just going to use it. I would prefer it wasn't around at all either, but in this setting, there isn't a lot to be done.
Very true. and if some kid is getting badgered about proper grammar and spelling he's probably going leave rather than learn more often than not.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm also not sure that Justin really wants to pay for another domain name..
It's like $10 a year. I'm pretty sure that, if it does improve SEO, that it'd be worth it. Hell, all us mods could even pitch in like... $1.50 each :lol:

Lots and lots of text here :lol:
^^ Pretend all that text is there (didn't quote it for clutter reason). But very well said! Especially when it comes to events and such. Myself and John (I am now forcing him to go), will be attending a Honda-Tech meet in September, so I'll make sure to rep ClubCivic!

The times are a changin...
That they are. Forums aren't the same as they used to be.

Very true. and if some kid is getting badgered about proper grammar and spelling he's probably going leave rather than learn more often than not.
310% agree!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Id be down to help pay.

I've been meaning to get a premium membership anyways. I just need to get back on my feet first :P

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Id be down to help pay.

I've been meaning to get a premium membership anyways. I just need to get back on my feet first :P
I'd put in for it. s**t, I may just sign up for premium anyway. 20 bucks for a year? s**t, I spend more than that in a week on food and drinks I hate myself for, why not spend it somewhere everyone can enjoy it. including me :D

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
Not sure about anyone else but I just stopped posting and checking in because my build has took a turn for the worst and I've got a lot of crap going on.