Why did this site die, and how to fix it.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It sounds to me that that amount of visitors and active members on this site has died as of the last couple years. I'm curious as to what you veterans think happened, and what we can do to remedy this issue. Newcomers who read this, feel free to chime in as it is you we are trying to keep around.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think the #1 biggest decline in member activity was a fundamental shift in the internet culture. Most forums have seen a decrease in activity. I think Facebook plays a huge hand in it, as it gave people a quick way to find a group of people with common interests, or add their knowledgeable friends.

An additional problem is the ease with which you can find information online. Opening a thread and waiting for someone to reply so that you can then ask a followup clarifying question is highly inefficient in comparison to opening a youtube video and following it step by step. Even our own members criticize others for not searching (when all this does is drive away site traffic. If they can search, why would they search CC for an informational text post when they can search youtube for a demonstrative video?).

That said, I think the best course of action is to evolve with the web in order to offer something in line with the currently available technologies. How do we do that? Not sure, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
You think just because it's clubCIVIC that keeps the numbers down?

Like compared to H-T where it is by name Hondas in general?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's something I've considered and brought up in the past. It definitely reduces our potential audience. However, my understanding is that Honda Tech has had a fairly steady decline in activity also. I also think a lot of members would have issues with us transitioning to a full Honda site (I've already seen a few members display this). Ultimately, I don't think it's the major deterring factor. We were ClubCivic in our prime, and we existed alongside Honda Tech, with similar levels of activity.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm also on JDMUniverse, which, let's face it, people f**king eat up that term JDM like hotcakes, so potentially that would come up. That place is dead. I see maybe 2 people post the entire day. I was there with my Subaru and also my 240SX and it was moving around. When I was there with my 96 hatch, I think that's when the forums were in full swing. I know forum activity is way down though. Kinda sucks. I've had to resort to taking my shirt off in posts to get numbers up...

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honda-Tech barely moves... GDD and some of the tech forums still has frequent visitors, but otherwise it's not nearly as filled and quick as it used to be. FaceBook and all of the other social media sites moved all of the new-aged kids to doing that. Can't blame them, it's a society based on getting information as fast as possible. Forums are yesterdays news...

I frequent H-T a lot just because they still have miles and miles more loads of tech advice and things to learn. CC was a tight knit community of people who all drove Civics and shared advice, but once they got older, moved onto other cars, etc. etc... the site slowed down. How to save it? Not sure...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Being that I have a lot of time and heart invested here since I have been on the staff, I wish it weren't so but I think it's forum culture in general that is dying.

3 forums that I used to frequent have shut down completely in the last year or so. 1 was a very active sport bike forum that was around since 2001 and I was on staff since the beginning.

There are very few forums that are fully active anymore and they are the big titans usually. One that I have been lurking on since my first air cooled beetle is VWVortex and people are saying that it is dramatically slowing down. It still looks busy to me but I am not an active poster on there because I don't like most of the idiots that are the high post count OGs in most of the sections. They are some flaming motherfuckers and are quick to jump on anyone's case if they don't fit their style or the way they think something should be done. So I just use that site for information.

I think that is where forums are ultimately going. Information archives with a little activity from core members that feel like they are family with one another.

nine

im new to forums in general but i think CC is the s***! it would be cool to have a cc fb app of some sort but tapatalk seems like it would be just as convient, idk as ive yet to use it. im pretty old school and do most of my browsing thru my ancient desktop lol. around my area ive seen a huge decline of honda's altogeher, i own one of 2 ef chassis cars to be seen in a 20mi radius. i almost never hear of anyone around here building them anymore

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep, like I said in the last thread when this was essentially asked...

We've discussed this.

Not just CC, but forums in general are declining. Just about anything you want to know about a Civic is plastered all over the internet. There's a ton of information here. Members can find the information they need without even joining the forum. There's a reason we have hundreds of guests on the site at all times, 634 at the time of this post. Only 17 are in Off-Topic. Over 130 are in the old Tech section, where posting has been locked since 2011. When it comes to general discussion, social media sites are taking over.
The technical information is already here, and that social media has taken over the... social... aspects of the site (OT, etc), so it makes sense that forums in general are declining. Just last year, a popular local forum I belong to was shut down because it declined. On their site message, they mentioned that they too believed social media had taken its toll on the forums. They mentioned that members can still keep in touch via (surprise) Facebook.

I'm trying to boost general / OT discussion though. I was bumping slightly old fun threads, and recently posted a few forums games in there in hopes to stir up some activity. If we can get new members to engage in OT threads, I think they'll have a higher chance of sticking around.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I also blame social media. Its almost pointless to post a build thread anymore unless its just to document for yourself.

andrewthesith

Darth "The Si" Vader
Facebook has killed the internet forum. not totally because you can never have the DIYs, writeups, and reviews catagorized for easier access.. but with sales, you can put a name to a face so scamming is much more difficult. general discuss and multimedia are much easier on Facebook, too.

i am on a few 8thcivic pages and a few forums but i do not post much on those forums because it's a pain sometimes since most people are mobile anymore and no one has come up with a well optimized mobile forum app and no site admins seem to want to pay the extra $ to host an app for a genre of website that is slowly dying out.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
just an observation from my short time here: there seems to be a lot of negative attitudes and posts, especially towards new forum members. i'm not saying most of it isn't totally unwarranted, but i don't see how it couldn't be a factor in driving people away.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i don't see how it couldn't be a factor in driving people away.
ScottPilgrimDoubleNegativeFace.gif

He's got a point though. But when the new guys retaliate in a hostile manner, that thread essentially becomes a war zone...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:like:

I also want to point out that I've seen Bhikku doing his fair share of good around the site, consistently, especially in the new to site section. I'd thank you, but I know you're not doing it for me, but I appreciate the welcome that you give to new members.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just an observation from my short time here: there seems to be a lot of negative attitudes and posts, especially towards new forum members. i'm not saying most of it isn't totally unwarranted, but i don't see how it couldn't be a factor in driving people away.
I have noticed this too, and I agree.

ScottPilgrimDoubleNegativeFace.gif

He's got a point though. But when the new guys retaliate in a hostile manner, that thread essentially becomes a war zone...
Exactly. So if we blast noobs about their grammar, and they blast back, s**t hits the fan.

Idea:
We should have a template written up and stickied in tech threads ASKING people to use correct grammar, etc., for best results. The tone of the template wouldn't be aggressive at all, but does mention that users can report tech posts due to proper spelling / grammar. Then, if some noob comes in spelling like the cat walked across the keyboard, we have a general template to copy / paste into their thread. You can use your own reply too obviously, but a copy / paste template might save some time. Then, if the new person still doesn't get the hint, report the post, and a moderator can lock the thread if deemed a grammar nightmare. If it's someone outside the US or who does not use English as their first language, we can make exceptions. Obviously if this comes into question and are unsure, we can always ask the OP.

I would like to think that idea takes a central stance on the situation. Think of the template as the same way a moderator will warn a thread before closing it. We can make it clear that we ask them to use proper spelling and punctuation, and IF warned and is still an issue, the thread MAY be subject to lock.

Thoughts? Sorry if that sounds a bit rambly, I'm typing this while trying to decipher spanglish at work :???:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think a template sticky is a fair idea that would be very easy to implement. There's no guarantee people will read it, but there's no harm in putting it up there.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think the idea of grammar policing is going to get a bit tricky. For some, you guys are able to deal with and answer something that might give Hex (for example) an aneurysm. I'm not saying we shouldn't, but I think a lot of the people reading through this, who are quick to jump on the tech posts, etc, should be on similar pages.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think a template sticky is a fair idea that would be very easy to implement. There's no guarantee people will read it, but there's no harm in putting it up there.
Yeah, that's why I brought up the idea of using it also as a type of "warning" system. Basically, if they don't read the sticky, post like crap, someone pastes sticky into their thread, they still post like crap, we take action if reported.

I think the idea of grammar policing is going to get a bit tricky. For some, you guys are able to deal with and answer something that might give Hex (for example) an aneurysm. I'm not saying we shouldn't, but I think a lot of the people reading through this, who are quick to jump on the tech posts, etc, should be on similar pages.
I agree. Personally, I don't want to have to police grammar, etc. There is pretty large grey area when it comes to stuff like this. I rather do anything we can do keep new guys around. The tougher the rules, the tougher that will be. I brought up this idea because it's sort of a middle ground. If it were up to me, I wouldn't even implement this idea, but I'm all for the good of the forum and what everyone else thinks could help improve the site.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Being nice to the newbies has never happened and will never happen :lol:

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
All in all, I think the site is a great place to hang out. Granted, some of the people here can be assholes, myself included, but I guess we could try and tone it down.

I think the color named folks are good at what they do and good at blending in (not acting like they're above anyone else) and are pretty helpful when needed.

There's a lot of good info on the site. I think what ends up hurting us the most is the lack of "new" content. Maybe the lack of newer generation drivers. But at the same time, there are users signing up do newer gen mods, like K swaps, etc.

I don't really know how forums go out and get new members besides word of mouth and then the hopes that someone who is searching for something, finds us and signs up. Personally, I don't really have anymore Honda friends, they all moved on to other rides or stopped messing around with modding / etc.

Not really sure what the answer is to getting more people over here, but I'm sure there has to be ways.