Why does the 2007 Civic sedan get better MPG than newer models???

madhatter256

5+ Year Member
I plan on buying a civic in the following months if I can afford it. I currently own a 1996 Sentra and although it has been great for me, I just need a newer car and plan on giving the sentra to my younger brother as it's not worth trading in.

So, I'm at carmax.com and near me is a 2007 Civic sedan LX that gets 30mpg city and 40mpg highway.

Then I see newer 2008/2009/2010 civics have lower gas mileage ratings than 2007 - 25/36mpg.

I am only looking at the automatic transmission models (as I can't drive stick and not worth it if I'm at rush hour traffic).

Is there a mechanical difference between those years? Or is it the way EPA measures the MPG rating?

The models in 2008/09/10 and 2007 all use the same engine although I am not sure about the transmission, so I ask if there is a fundamental difference in parts.

JoEX

I just took a look at fueleconomy.gov, and the 2007 and 2010 Civic scored identical fuel economy ratings, 25 city and 36 highway. The website is fairly reputable, since it's a government website. Perhaps you were looking at MPG ratings from two different sites? Or the authors of your website are on cocaine.

Also, you should reconsider a stick shift. More fun to drive, cheaper to repair, and similar if not better fuel economy if you drive them right.