will i pass smog in California with my setup?

jcrwzr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1998 Civic EX 4 door
d16y8

k&n CAI with CARB EO sticker.
4-2-1 dc header HHC5513 with CARB EO sticker.
dc header carb eo number: D-370-6
carb eo date: April 23, 2001

i still have the cat. and my header is one of those kinds where you need to extend the O2 sensor and route it closer to the cat.

my car runs fine. never had a check engine light or error message. no weird smoke coming from the exhaust. i'm still running with stock exhaust pipes and muffler. engine doesn't struggle or lag.

2 years ago, i just had the CAI and passed, no questions asked from the smog guy
1 year ago, i installed the header b/c i had a cracked exhaust manifold.
now, my registration is due in a couple of months and i need to smog it.

is there any reason why i would fail the test either visually or sniff?

here's the Executive Order for the DC header: read it here: http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-370-6.pdf

thanks for your help.

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as long as you have the rest of the exhaust stock there should be no reason to not pass......... i have in the passed right before the test clear the engine codes and run fuel cleaner and passed on a real shitty turbo setup....lmao....should be fine

jcrwzr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
failed

So, I failed smog. Visual Inspection ok. But emissions failed. The tech told me to first fill up with premium gas. after I've gone through all of the low octane and high octane flows through, come back and retest.

I asked, what if I use high octane, and still don't pass? the tech said: "it's your cat. it's probably old, but hopefully that's not the case. Also come back when it's cold. come back in the morning. your chances of failing are higher when it's hot and muggy."

I also asked: this has nothing to do with my header or intake does it? The tech answered, "no. Everything is hooked up just fine. Some techs will be a b**ch about it and fail you regardless of carb and paperwork, but you're fine."

I attached my smog slips. Do you agree with the tech? Is my car so old that I just need to start filling up with premium?

jcrwzr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
correction my car has 187,367 miles

Trekk

Registered VIP
You might need a new cat and sensors. How clean was the air filter? How old are the plugs, and do you drive the piss out of it?
Back in the day a part of my tune ups consisted of driving around for 5min or so while keeping the RPMs around 4k. It helps blow a lot of crap out of the motor.

We haven't had emission test here since the late 90's. so I'm not super up to date on them anymore lol.

jcrwzr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
air filter is not new, but not gross and dirty. i usually tap it against the cement of my garage once a week to shake off dirt. plugs are less than 2 years old. but i do have a box of new ones in my garage. by drive the piss out of it do you mean drive it hard? lead foot? no, i take it quite easy on my car. i also drive about 300 miles a week.