Window problem on my 1999 HX

mLzeee

5+ Year Member
So today my Driver side window didn't go up all the way and I think it got de-railed(i think that's the word for it). It goes up 50% or so. Would you guys suggest a DIY or mechanic? if mechanic how much would it cost?> thanks

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
pull the door panel off. loosen the bolt at the bottom of the window rail, slide the glass back into the rail, tighten the bolt back down. then use a silicone spray lubricant and lube up the inside of the rubber tracks really well. you'll never have off-track issues again. ive done the whole process in 10 minutes before

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
took me longer than that but i've done it twice before.

beats the hell outta paying a "mechanic" over 100 to do it.

SiBlue_EK

save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
yea i need to stop being lazy and do this, my windows are rolling up too slow and i know its because of the rbber trakcs

ThaJokaa

Buildin..???
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just put some armorall/tire shine on the rails and no more probs...

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Just a little patience and about 2 beers, you'll get it. Better than paying someone else's beer tab imo. If I remember correct, all you need is a 10mm and some clear lube (i used wd40) The longest part is getting the panel on and off.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just a little patience and about 2 beers, you'll get it. Better than paying someone else's beer tab imo. If I remember correct, all you need is a 10mm and some clear lube (i used wd40) The longest part is getting the panel on and off.
i must have reset my window tracks half a dozen times before i used the silicone spray. its been almost 2 years with no problems now.

yeah, you need a philips head to get the door panel off, then the 10mm to get the track bolt loosened

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
i have done it 3 times, once because of a damn thief. It gets easier the more you do it

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Lucky asses, both of my windows dont roll down. The car was broken into twice, and they f**ked up s**t.

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Try looking at your tracks, see if they are bent/pinched. It might come down to having to search your local honda salvage for new parts

ekcivicdx

5+ Year Member
my manual windows did the same thing, just fixed mine today with tire shine...you dont even have to take the door panel off, u can spray it down the upper part of the track and roll the window up and down a bunch of times...works like a charm, better than the day i got the car!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
tire shine eventually dries out like wd-40. that's why i keep restating the silicone lube. it doesnt make the rubber on the tracks sticky when it dries out, unlike tire shine and wd

Tphong

5+ Year Member
A friend of mine owns a tint shop and he has this stuff called MPI Silicon that sprays on the glass that reduces friction between the glass and the rubber seals. Of course he does it after it is tinted. He says he uses it mostly on Honda's and it works.