Window Track Issue - Lovely 6th Gens!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I know this has been beaten to death all over the place and everyone says the same thing, spray Lithium Grease into the channel and it's done. So here's where I'm at:

- Popped it back on, fell off (lasted a couple months)
- Bought Liquid Wrench Lithium Grease, as everyone mentions. Sprayed lightly in the channel, window up and down a few times to work it in. (Lasted a month)
- Loosened front track blot and lowered window, pulled track towards window and retightened. (Lasted a week)
- Pulled window out, rag on a pen and wiped the channels out, sprayed lithium grease into channels, reassembled. (Lasted a week)
- Pulled window out, pulled rubber channel out lightly to inspect for damage, no tears or stretched looks, wiped out completely, sprayed generous lithium grease on a clean rag and wipe the channels down completely, cleaned window, reassembled. (Lasted 2 weeks)
- Pulled front track off door, inserted 3 washers between channel and door to push bottom of the track away from the inside of the door (The window appears to push out while getting lower, before popping off) (Lasted a few days)
- Pulled window, pulled channel, pulled tracks, cleaned everything, lightly greased channels with Moly Graph (axle grease), cleaned regulator tracks and regreased, reassembled. (Lasted a week)

So I'm ready to just fling my door open as a truck passes and let them take it. Before I replace absolutely everything, what else can I do?

The window gradually gets harder to move until it eventually pops off the track and then it just gets stuck, obviously. It looks like maybe the rear of the window gets stuck (?) about halfway and the front of the window will move up a little more when going up, and then on the downward motion, around halfway, the front of the window is pushed down a bit and then it just pops out.

Check the channels, they don't look bent, they appear to have the same opening width all the way down, the rubber channel looks to be in good shape. Should I start with just the channel?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Y not just replace everything? Its old. Just because it doesnt look worn out doesnt mean it isnt.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure if sarcasm :D

That was my next move, mostly out of frustration, but the parts, all brand new (except the motor, which is totally fine, and glass) are like $175 all OEM. Not awful, just looking for maybe an inbetween maybe...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wasnt sarcasm. Im all about just replacing s**t if its not working. I dont have time to f**k around pulling s**t apart over and over when u couldve replaced it all and had it fixed months ago.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea, I mean, I'm usually pretty patient, and I won't want to replace something until I know I need to. But at this point, I think I've been defeated. I like the learning process, but I think I'm about as far as I can possibly go with what I have. I think it's time to start swapping parts. I'd want to just try the rubber channel, but if the regulator is messed up or the tracks are messed up, it would just end up messing up the channel again. So I guess just pull it all out and redo it.

Is it proper to lubricate the new channel? Or do they just go in as is out of the packaging?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Buy all the parts and start swapping s**t until u figure it out then. If you wanna play hero that is :what:

myfavecoupe

I was always told to spray silicone grease in the channels. As lithium grease collects dirt/dust and causes resistance over time. Maybe wipe it clean and try silicone?