Wiper Switch Fix: 96-00 Civics

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently developed an issue with my windshield wiper switch where it wasn't properly engaging unless I'd push the lever up for a moment or giggle it around to have it continue to wipe. Here is the damage I found and the fix I came up with. (FYI: the switch comes off easily by removing 2 small long screws that are easily accessible once the steering column cover is removed.)

Circled is the impeding damaged section. Everything easily prys off with a small flat head screw driver.

A front shot of the broken retaining tab for that spring switch that controls the pull control to spray fluid.

Notice all the metal shavings that likely impeded the contact points of the switch. They're definitely steel but I can't imagine from where as nothing in the switch is steel.

Even more metal shavings along with dirty dielectric grease which likely affected conductivity.

Those are all the metals shavings that were in the switch, which is plenty.

More dirty contact points.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I cut to size a small thin screw, drilled a pilot hole then installed the screw at the position in front of an existing tab of where that white shaft lined up...

... in order to accomplish a peg just tall enough for the spring to be mounted on so the switch can provide the same function using the bend force of the spring. Im not entire certain how it originally functions being how damaged the plastic section was. Analyzing the function of the area, I felt this was the best option to restore function.

Here's the end product...

I cleaned up all the contacts, gently scrubbing some with steel wool, then applied new dielectric grease before reassembling the complete switch. Big different.

9/10 UPDATE:
I realized the screw was causing the white plastic center "valve switch" in the switch body to stick which led to clicking while turning. Thus, I shaved down the screw head and its all fine now.
20160909_180649.jpg
20160909_183138.jpg

Last edited: