Wow, friend thinks 90s civics aren't "age appropriate" for older guys

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thought this would be a funny thread to start, I'm in my early 30s driving a 6th gen civic.

My friend thinks I should get a newer car because (as I'm sure we're all aware) you for the most part see high schoolers/teenagers/early 20s people driving them around.

I will admit that at times seeing these cars "slammed" and running an annoying exhaust does make me feel a bit annoyed to be in the same category simply by having a car of that vintage.

However I love my car and keep it fully stock lowered 2" as I enjoy the gas mileage and the classic look of them.

Unfortunately people like my friend do see them as a "kids" car which is funny as originally the adult demographic were driving them.

Thoughts on the subject and curious everyone's age that drives one of these older gems

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You poor? Those cars are for the poor of your age.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm 33 and I daily drive my civic unless its apart. Don't really care what anyone thinks of it. I also have a 2007 acura TL...dated second hand luxury car. I'm not poor, but I can contribute decent finances to having two vehicles that are both paid for. One economical and fun and one I can haul the family in.

I have an older coworker, in his late 40's with a 5th gen sedan he uses for work. He loves it because it doesn't much to run and it's reliable.

I think if I ever get my hands on a NSX, it won't age appropriate to the majority either with me already having 2 kids, wife, and dog. I doubt i'll care then either lol.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not poor I simply like the car. The style, fuel economy, and ease of maintenance.

If I have to deal with random teenagers trying to race me or asking if it's for sale, so be it lol

Reactions: HeX

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I prefer the simplicity, ease to work on, reliability, cost of parts, fuel economy, all out functionality of it, meaning it does what I need it to do and the fact that it is fully paid for.
Plus, working where I do, there is no reason for me to buy an upscale or newer car which will require higher cost in fuel and maintenance, which will also be exposed to an environment with accelerated corrosion.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not necessarily. Some people simply could care less about what their car looks like, as long as it's reliable and gets them from point A to B. That fits the bill of a Civic quite well, IMO.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not necessarily. Some people simply could care less about what their car looks like, as long as it's reliable and gets them from point A to B. That fits the bill of a Civic quite well, IMO.
Exactly. Not to mention civics look pretty stylish

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Good thread! 34 here. Daily drive my 99 LX and hope to teach my son how to drive stick with this car in 10 years or so. Cheap parts, easy to maintain, cheap to insure, reliable, etc. Mine is pretty ragged looking but I did put a sick stereo in it. :D

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
32 with an ek hatch and dc2 Gsr. Who cares what someone thinks. Peoples opinions aren't usually based on any actual knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This friend who made that statement drives a 99 and his argument is the high school kids where he teaches drive civics of that year and makes him feel like he needs to get something "newer" so now all of a sudden anyone past 18+ should be driving something else in his eyes

Last edited:

Restotech

Respected
I'm 34 and drive a 95 si. I like it. Don't care what other people think. Easy to fix. Cheap parts. Good gas mileage. Reliable. This is my 6th Honda to own and my fourth 5th gen. I love em.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I own a '97 Civic HX for the last 5.5 years and I'm nearly 36. While it is annoying to get the occasional random kid in his riced out Civic trying to get me to "race", I still have loved owning my Civic for similar reason as most in this thread: reliability, low cost of maintenance, a relatively timeless simplistic style, and its paid off. I admit I originally intended on buying a hatchback but settled for this HX because it was a great deal on a really solid engine that's very efficient. It suited my simple needs at the time and others' opinions are the least of my desires or concerns. I went from a luxury '95 Legend coupe, that I had clean as hell but was a 16MPG premium pig and expensive to maintain, to a simple, cost-effective and efficient 37+MPG daily driver. Talk about a change-up.

Anyways, I get complimented on this Civic all the time, ranging from the novice person to the car-educated that don't usually like Hondas due to the stigma they've acquired. I chose to see my Civic ownership as the exception to the stereotype. In the end, it all comes down to what you do with yours and how you take care of it; intent, effort, vision, and accomplishment.

I'm curious if your friend also happens to still owe multiple years on whatever he drives. If so, I'd bring that up every single time he brings up his "view". :cool:

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm curious if your friend also happens to still owe multiple years on whatever he drives. If so, I'd bring that up every single time he brings up his "view". :cool:
Lol well he currently still has the 99 civic and currently shopping for something newer

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol well he currently still has the 99 civic and currently shopping for something newer
I didnt see that earlier. Itd be great if he comes back later saying his '99 rides better than he thought compared to other cars he tests.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didnt see that earlier. Itd be great if he comes back later saying his '99 rides better than he thought compared to other cars he tests.
Funny he actually already thinks that but it's not enough as he says "it's time to get newer"

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This thread reminds me of the first minute of this...

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
I'm 30 and rocking 91 civic hatchback. I f**king love it! I don't even like the newer civics because they look so gay, but hey that's me.

Old school hondas all day long.