You're My Only Hope Honda Forum.

Colton A

Hey everybody!

This is my first post to the forum and I've been driving a Automatic 2008 Sedan EX for about a year and a half now. Just started getting into cars and I want to get into modifying my daily driver. This thing has about 100k miles on it, and was kept in pretty good condition by the previous owner. No rust or anything, tires seem good, stock everything as far as I can tell. I want to start experimenting with this thing but I've got no idea where to start, how to mod it, and I'm on a budget. I'm looking to improve the suspension on the car since my routes take me on some pretty nasty Pennsylvania back roads, as well as maybe getting some better headlights. Could one of you guys help me with some recommendations before the Church Street Chasm wrecks the underside of my car? Anything is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm on a budget.
What's your budget?

I'm looking to improve the suspension on the car since my routes take me on some pretty nasty Pennsylvania back roads, as well as maybe getting some better headlights.
What are you looking to improve?
What is wrong with the stock headlights?

Colton A

My headlights are so dim by this point that it's getting dangerous to drive with them at night. Looking to upgrade to LED's, I've got a budget of $300 for the lights and sorry if that wasn't clear but I'm looking to raise the bottom of the car higher off of the ground so that I don't mess the car up further. Is that suspension, or something else? Still new to this whole scene and still working on learning terminology. How much would something like that run me for a decent set? Thanks for your help, Mr. Baker.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm looking to raise the bottom of the car higher off of the ground so that I don't mess the car up further.
Does the car have stock suspension on it?

My headlights are so dim by this point that it's getting dangerous to drive with them at night.
But WHY are they dim.
Are the actual headlight lenses faded or hazed over?
Upgrading to to a better quality bulb, like Osram, would help, but if the actual headlight lenses are faded and hazed over, nothing will help.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take a picture of the headlights. If the hazing isn't too bad, you can get a kit (or just some wet sandpaper) and clear them up. Otherwise some new housings are in order. I bought some $50 ebay housings for my civic a while back, and they lasted.. about a year before going downhill. So there's definitely a difference in quality for what you pay.

Colton A

I've actually never thought about the lights hazing over, but the casings seem pretty clear. I think it's the actual bulbs. Mr.Baker, you mentioned a brand called Osram, looked into it. Any suggestions on what type to put in a 2008? There's models like the D1S or the D1R, but they have different bases. Does anybody know what a stock light looks like outside of the car? Pictures preferable.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it'd be difficult to capture in a picture what the light output looks like. If the casings are clear, then you shouldn't have that much trouble with visibility.. I'd at least start with some of the extra-visibility bulbs available at a local auto parts store. If that doesn't cut it, then maybe something else.

Colton A

I think I get what your saying, but just to be sure, here's what I mean. Under the bit that says "select your variant" there's a bunch of different models with the same light but different bases, or terminals or whatever they're called. From the looks of it you don't have an 8-body (going by whatever that little description is under your posts) so my headlights probably have different terminals than your does.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not sure how to pick those bulbs, I was just talking about the ones Autozone shows when you search 2008 civic.

Get some pictures of your headlights lenses in the day, and the light output at night!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The car uses 9006 bulbsfor low and 9005 for high beams
All you had to do was look up what type of bulbs your car takes.

Now as for bulb brand, I've been very pleased with the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.