Z6 onto y8 block pros n cons help

earlybill1

First off what is a z6 dizzy I keep reading but have no idea what that means? Ok now Im driving a 97 Civic ex with of course a d16y8 now what are the pros and cons of swapping the head to a z6? Can it give it more power or less. Why do tuners do this is the z6 a vtec? Just any info I can get will or mite help me understand a bit better. I really wanna Turbo my y8 but the shop I've been talking to in Alabama (Trackmasters) says it would be cheaper and better to just swap to a b16a because I'd have to have my y8 bottom end built and that would cost as much as the Turbo so it would be $3500-$4000 for b16 and $6000 plus for y8 built plus Turbo guess I'd go with b16 what would y'all do thanks for the advice

Droidx,97CIVIC

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Z6 dizzy = distributor for the z6 head.

What would I do? Swap to b-series then boost.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You don't need to build the bottom end unless your going for over 220hp which is the max safe limit for the stock rods and pistons. I have a d16y5 turbo that's all stock making 166hp and 149tq which is better than a b16

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
look leave the head on there cheapest route is to get some vitara pistons and some new rods scat or eagle. Get stock bore 75.5mm that way all that will need to be done is to get block notched for pistons. Can leave the head alone. Then after that get you a small little turbo setup nothing special. Do not cheap out on the turbo though aka ebay. Can get a used turbo or buy a rebuilt one for 500 and under. I would get a simple little t3t4 or even a gt28 turbo if you can afford one. Then get the rest of your tubo essentials i guarantee that if you turbo the d series even stock and get a good reliable tune it will beat the b16 without a doubt.

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
save more money getting low comp pistons and ebay turbo the y8. Their very strong single jingles with turbo.