Zach's [college] DD Build/Timeline

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Zach's [college] DD Coupe

It's a 1999 DX that's been through hell and back.

My parents and I bought it under the impression it had just a salvage title in 2007 for $1995. Last year I finally bought the CarFax for it and my jaw dropped.

The car had been through 1 car accident in 2004, 3 floods from 2004-2005, was given Salvage titles by two different previous owners, and also had the transmission replaced. Strangely, it runs perfectly, and I've never had a problem with it.

---

Prior to owning this car I had NO experience working on any part of a car, nor had even thought about it. So the whole thing really has been a learning project for me. =)

I was 17 in 2008/09 and got into 2 additional minor car accidents after school that messed up the front bumper, fender, and hood.

------

Now I am starting my 4th year of college in the fall and had a long-term girlfriend leave me in the spring, so I have decided to start spending more money on the car to help myself get over her. :oops:

My budget is pretty low, I work during the school year as a part-time web designer with just $9/hr.

I'm trying to (and have learned the hard way) that it pays to do s*** right the first time, and to take your time.

---

Here's a few pictures of my cars life since I have owned it:

2007 (my first time driving on my own)

2010-11

I've been lazy so I have just been doing little things:

Now (about a month ago):

MOST RECENT:

I have the bra on during the winter with all the salt here in MI, but the half mask in the summer to sorta cover up a big dent on my hood (haha).

I'd love to dump all of my money in it, but I really want to save for a WRX in a few years after I have started a real career so I just can't seem to justify spending big time on this one.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here's a list of what I have so far done:

Engine:
- Y8 Intake manifold
- AEM SRI intake with AEM filter (thanks sCrowley)
- Wrinkle red VC
- OEM Upper strut bar
- Junkyard A/C compressor

Exhaust:
- HKS cat-back with 3" piping
- Stock y7 header/cat (stupid I know, I just can't justify redoing it yet though since it works)

Exterior:
- DIY Paint matched side molding, mirrors, and sideskirts
- Replica SI spoiler
- Replica mugen-style front lip
- DIY "Home Depot" under-spoiler
- Replica CTR-style front grille (have collected the outer trim of the OEM si so far!)

- DIY Black housing headlights
- TRS Bi-Xenon HID retrofit
- 5000k HID's
- Ebay fog lights

- OEM window visors (thanks cheeseneck)
- OEM mud guards
- 5% rear window tint
- RSX washer nozzles

Wheels/Suspension:
- OEM 14" steelies with paint matched 96-98 hubcaps
- 185/65/14 tires
- Stock

Interior:
- OEM center console armrest
- Aftermarket power locks
- Sony MP3/CD player with Sony speakers
- CRV guages
- Amber Climate control

FUTURE PLANS

- Function & Form Type 1 - DONE See page 2
- PIC Performance LCA's - DONE See page 2
- ASR or BWR Subframe brace
- Rear Sway bar
- 15in White or Black Wheels probably +20/25
- OEM SI grille

- 5spd Swap :oops: Working on gathering the parts over this summer. Gaining the confidence to do it!

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
moar low and some wheels are needed.....other than that it looks mint glwb
Thanks, I forgot to mention I've got Function and Form Type 1's and PIC lca's waiting to go on this weekend. Cant wait!

Today I took off the rear wheels and re-undercoated the fender wells with 3m undercoating. Strange stuff, but covered good and made them nice and black.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks funky with the bra and stuff...

Was hoping to see a hatch, but a white civic of any kind is ok with me!

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks funky with the bra and stuff...

Was hoping to see a hatch, but a white civic of any kind is ok with me!

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!
I know what you mean, the bra isn't really for everyone, and like I said, I usually only have the top part on. The rest is just for the winter! I just left it on a little long this year.

I'd love to have a hatch over a coupe too, when I was younger, though, I thought coupes were awesome haha.

Bay pics would be nice...
True that, its just mostly a stock y7, but I try to keep it clean.

I'll see what I have on my computer, if not take some soon. :thumbup:

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice Man! GLWB!
Thanks guy!

Got these waiting to go on this saturday with my friend's help. I'm excited! Both of us have never installed coilovers so it'll be interesting lol.

PIC Performance lca's:

I'm assuming I'm gonna break some of the rusty bolts for the rear, so just in case:

Had to get those from Majestic online.. the dealer here wanted $16 apiece in town
=)

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Now I'm wishing I would've gotten a subframe brace, but I guess I can always get one later..

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Put up a couple new pictures of the car, and my automatic motor.

I got two of the worst things, a y7 and an auto. :oops:

Im working on collecting the parts for the 5spd this summer though, been doing research on how to convert it for the past few months.

Culberson

condoms prevent minivans
Put up a couple new pictures of the car, and my embarrassing automatic motor.

I got two of the worst things, a y7 and an auto. :oops:

Im working on collecting the parts for the 5spd this summer though, been doing research on how to convert it for the past few months.
haha you definatly dont have two of the worst things.....at least you got a car and as far as engines go i had a DPFI D15B2 so be glad you had a Y7 haha

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha you definatly dont have two of the worst things.....at least you got a car and as far as engines go i had a DPFI D15B2 so be glad you had a Y7 haha
Haha damn I guess you're right. DPFI would be horrible. Goodluck though! I just see some of the nice engines on here and feel so lame.

Nice man cars looking pretty good.
Thanks man, I've looked at your build too, looks like you've got a nice base as well

Can't wait to see those on...
Thanks, me too. Sorry the bay was such a disappoint lol.

Looks like I'll be driving lowered on hubcaps for a little bit i guess while I figure out what wheel setup I want

B16Ferio

5+ Year Member
super jealous!! wish my car was as clean and in as good of condition as yours! nice work dude!!!

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks fellas, I try to keep it as clean as possible, especially while I have time in the summers. It's got some dents and dings all around, but nothing too major haha.

Probably not gonna do anything on the car today though, it'll be about 100 out here! that never happens and its too hot for me.