ZC engine compatible parts, and rod knock

311unityEX

Alright y'all. Kinda of a n00b here. I bought this '98 EX coupe 2 years ago with virtually ZERO problems minus general maintenance and a few other things.. anyway, it has a ZC engine in it marked by ZC and a serial number. No other markings that I can see. The previous owner put the engine in and I was told it had about 100k on it when installed. add 48k now for 148k on it. I don't even know if it has vtec or not. Just know it's a 1.6L. Forgive the ignorance it's just my DD. I'm an ex RX-7 guy lol

My question is will the stock engine parts per the VIN swap over to this ZC engine? It started knocking like crazy this morning. Pretty sure it's rod knock. Thinking it will need a rebuild. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks! Video:

311unityEX

Car is at work right now. I'll check tomorrow. Just trying to get a game plan together if I have to do a rebuild and what parts to buy and from where. And how do I tell a P28 ECU?

311unityEX

Well, found the problem. Just going to replace the engine. Where can I find a good REUILD or REMAN engine? Saw some on eBay but feel a little sketchy on those unless you guys think that's a good place. Thought about a JDM engine with low miles but was doing some research and the average for a JDM is about $900-$1000 and a rebuilt is about $1500 or so. I don't want to rebuild the one I have. Don't trust it at all. Thanks for the replies!

Attachments

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't want to rebuild the one I have. Don't trust it at all. Thanks for the replies!
Isn't the point of a rebuild to do just that, rebuild it? Why wouldn't you trust a motor you have had rebuilt vs. one purchased from an importer with little to NO history about it?

If you do buy a motor, Hmotorsonline is hands down the most reputable.