Hood Spacer Modification

civic99white

casper
5+ Year Member
CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF THE DIY FOR THE HOOD THE ONE THAT U PUT WASHERS SOME WERE INTHE HOOD TO LIFT IT A LITTLE FOR THE HOT AIR TO ESCAPE THANS MUCH :D:D:D:D:D

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF THE DIY FOR THE HOOD THE ONE THAT U PUT WASHERS SOME WERE INTHE HOOD TO LIFT IT A LITTLE FOR THE HOT AIR TO ESCAPE THANS MUCH :D:D:D:D:D
It's easy. The two hood mounts in the rear one on both sides, Unbolt the hood and start adding washers, and use longer bolts. Go have fun.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Warning sent.

At the same time, I do take his side in the sense that I wouldn't do it. Didn't it involve a safety concern a while back as the hood would come through the windshield in a crash..

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know a few people that did that to their hood but they have itb's and that is why they raised their hood.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i think that if you have ITB's and you do it, it would be freakin sweet cuz people would be like "that ricer has his hood propped" but you would actually have a reason

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You sir are the idiot. If he wants to do it, let him. Its not your car, its not like it affects you....
Did I accidentally skip to 07, where things like neons and propped hoods arent cool anymore, and actually give's us normal honda drivers a bad name? Hmmm maybe im an idiot, and I will go and prop my hood right away. This way all the moisture/rain/dirt and other things can have a fast easy way into my engine bay, and my bolts can start their corrosion process faster. Also I can totally disrupt the airflow honda design to suck the air from under the car, but no Im going to create a million different high/low pressure spots, to just turbulates around the engine, heating up the engine block even further, all because I propped my hood to allow air NOT excape the way it was designed, and just chill by the intake manifold, and heat up.

Oh and since I guess im an idiot for tying to be real, maybe Ill prop my hood with 4 washers, so I can benifit the large decrease in gas mileage, since the hood cowl is a high pressure area, and sealing that area off cuts down alot of drag, but no, Im an idiot and LOVE drag, right? Maybe sometimes you need to be direct, so a bunch of fanboys dont follow suite and start dumping chocolate milk, or acetone into their gas tank, since one person started a trend.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude i agree that it is a dumb idea but the temperature guage doesnt lie......it cools your engine

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude i agree that it is a dumb idea but the temperature guage doesnt lie......it cools your engine
hey buddy, please dont spread mis-information. This is another false statement that needs to stop. Doing this doesnt affect the temp guage one bit. When its 97*f outside with full humidity, the temp gauge is at the same level when its -5*f outside. You cant tell me propping a hood means its technically going to be cooler than that -5*f inside the enginebay?

why didnt the honda engineers design their own JDM hood tilt? im sure its not going to cost them extra to design something like this. Its because its not efficient.

Only some swaps like h22, or ITB's would justify this.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey buddy, please dont spread mis-information. This is another false statement that needs to stop. Doing this doesnt affect the temp guage one bit. When its 97*f outside with full humidity, the temp gauge is at the same level when its -5*f outside. You cant tell me propping a hood means its technically going to be cooler than that -5*f inside the enginebay?

why didnt the honda engineers design their own JDM hood tilt? im sure its not going to cost them extra to design something like this. Its because its not efficient.

i did it with my stock hood before i got this CF one and it cut my engine temp in half!.......and honda isnt gonna make something to ruin the clean look of the car, probably why they wouldnt make a hood tilt

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go on honda tech, its been beaten around like a cheap whore, and made fun of, your not an engineer, your facts are nto facts.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i guess for the month that my hood was like that my eyes werent working right......my temp gauge went from almost halfway up to 1/4........if thats not proving that it works then i dont know what is.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am just saying. You can say it is not good and that is it. No need to call people stupid and such.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

the same reason they dont include turbo chargers... adjustable coil overs.. 5 point racing harness.. cages..

i dont know if it works or doesnt work but i would like to find out...

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the same reason they dont include turbo chargers... adjustable coil overs.. 5 point racing harness.. cages..

i dont know if it works or doesnt work but i would like to find out...
I'm thinking so dude. I know alot of people that have their hoods tilted and are not ricers at all. I personally know a NOPI champion that has his hood tilted as well.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im curious as to what happened to my posts? i didnt think they were argumentative

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My buddy with an SR20DET Red top 240 propped it recently because he was having overheating problems and it cooled down...

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My friend said that it reduced his under hood temps by 10 degrees.

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you guys have it all wrong, it does the opposite of what your thinking.

this is what you want

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/hood/hood.htm

If you dont believe me, tape a bunch toilet paper to the end, tilt the hood, see what direction the strings of paper flow, the high pressure area will suck them into the engine bay. Its the same thing when its raining hard out and your driving. You can see the rain being forced into the cowl area, not shot out.

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My friend said that it reduced his under hood temps by 10 degrees.
your friend said that, but have you actually taken a digidoc5, with flat ribbon sensors and taped them onto the more critical parts of the engine, and have taken readings?

The idea honda engineers had was to have a complete changeover of hot air inside the engine bay, while replacing it with cooler fresh air outside. If you know anything about aerodynamics, air is best when its moving in ONE direction. You pop the hood, now you have 2 different forces going against eachother, which means not all the air is excaping. Car engineers have proven you have a more aerodynamic car when the COWL area is sealed.

air pressure is high on the front of the bumper, and windshield cowl area. There are enough openings on the crossmember and above the radiator to allow the engine bay temps be 10-20* warmer over ambient while cruising.

Im just saying your tests are all wrong, its been proven by many engineers. Your temp gauge might be cooler, but something else in your engine bay is hotter, because air isnt moving the way they designed it. Seriously, cars have been around for generation after generation, They'[ve spent millions in the wind tunnel. Your telling me you fanboy bandwagoneers have sucessfully beat a windtunnel costing $10,000 per hour?