Just got my 98 4D Civic. What to do now?

Heir Apparent

5+ Year Member
Hi, [EDIT TYPO - 99 Civic, not 98]

This is a 5SPD.

First post here. So nice to meet all of you.
Here are some pictures. It's bone stock.
I want to make it look nice, starting with the cheapest but biggest improvements.

*How do I fix this dent?*

*And these scratches?*

*I'm guessing this is where my fog lights go? But do I take off that black pieces that looks molded on?*

Last edited:

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you cut it out, if you buy the fog's they should have a diagram on how to do that, i would do fogs, wheels, coilovers... but if yhou want motor, go with intake, header, exhaust.. goodluck

Heir Apparent

5+ Year Member
I will probably do fogs, first. Motor will be after I make it look nice.
How difficult is this to do yourself? I can't imagine it's that tough.

Oh - recommendations?

lil_kev

5+ Year Member
holy s**t. how bout resizing those pics. ;)

BARE FOOT FTW!!!:lol:

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
LOL re upload the pictures to photobucket and upload as 800x600.

Good job on the pick up man, yloull enjoy the car very much. You cant really fix the door, sorry about that man. Go to the junkyard, pick up some more doors and re paint the car. Lurk around the forums and see what other people are doing and get some nice ideas. I would lower it, rims, tint, system, polish/wax paint, intake/exhaust, 5sp swap etc.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i can't look at those giant pics. fix that 1st

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How about no sideways and upside down pics first. That would be my recommendation. Also take pics in the late afternoon. Then, do you have any friends that do bodywork?

wfw12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
new fender, new door and paint to start, there goes your "cheap" budget.
dont waste your money on cheap parts, youll regret it and they never last

DJ_BIG_A

5+ Year Member
i would go with a new head unit then some wheels and tires and speakers and subs

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if u really want it to look good, get that huge dent fixed. it'll cost u, but at least u'll have a clean slate.

from there, i'd work on suspension. a set of coilovers and lca's are a great place to start. then worry about rims and tires. from there, u can work on engine mods. (don't forget to upgrade brakes as u go tho.) Never add power without adding handling/stopping ability.

jonats2k

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it's a good buy.

Anyways, coming from another sedan owner, I would get red/clear tails like mine. Then, change your grill to something else because I'm not a big fan of the chrome grill. Then, get some rims and drop it.

I have OEM fogs on mine. I bought them for $125 off ebay. It came with Instructions and should be real easy to do if you have the necessary tools to cut the bumper. You don't need any tools for all the wiring since it's all plug in.

Good luck man!

Heir Apparent

5+ Year Member
Ahhh, sorry guys about the pictures.
I can resize/delete the pictures/thread.

Thank you for the advice, I am looking on ebay right now for some parts right now.
I would like to stick to as much JDM as I could.
And I want to just get the read/clear tails. I might keep the amber on if I do the little orange lights on the side of the door.

I'm not sure what to look for on ebay so I don't get really cheap bad ones. If you got any advice/links (you don't have to do that) let me know!

*What about these?* http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-CIVIC-SI-JDM-OEM-FOG-LIGHTS-CLEAR-2D-3D-4D-TYPE-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270271541560QQitemZ270271541560

Last edited:

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sell it and get a 5speed or convert it...it's not a 5speed is it??? lol

dude don't get clear lights. that's like 1999 man...wait that is the year of your car =)
bumper lip, side skirt, rear lip, lower it, 16's...

Heir Apparent

5+ Year Member
It is a 5SPD.

Hahaha and s**t, I just noticed my feet. This was early in the morning. I just got out of the shower.

jonats2k

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ahhh, sorry guys about the pictures.
I can resize/delete the pictures/thread.

Thank you for the advice, I am looking on ebay right now for some parts right now.
I would like to stick to as much JDM as I could.
And I want to just get the read/clear tails. I might keep the amber on if I do the little orange lights on the side of the door.

I'm not sure what to look for on ebay so I don't get really cheap bad ones. If you got any advice/links (you don't have to do that) let me know!

*What about these?* http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-CIVIC-SI-JDM-OEM-FOG-LIGHTS-CLEAR-2D-3D-4D-TYPE-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270271541560QQitemZ270271541560

I really suggest you don't get fake ones. Yes, they're cheap, but you'll regret it in the end. Trust me, if you can get all OEM parts, that would be the best. I've been there. Everything I've bought non-OEM, I regret buying.

gtoman_05

Yah Its Orange
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome to CC
Have Fun :thumbs up
Just like you are saying i would do work on exterior first, get the hang of some stuff. Then move on under the hood.