new to 4th gens

95 civic hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm getting ready to pick up a 91 hatch in a couple days, I don't really know much about the car other than its got a fairly fresh rebuild on the motor and new clutch. Its a d15b1, I'm just gonna be using it for a daily for the most part, not wanting to try to race it. Just something decent on gas and all that. Is there anything I need to be watching for on it? I've never really messed with 4th gens any, so what surprises should I look forward to. I drove the car tonight, and it runs and drives great, the 4sp is kinda weird cause I keep looking for 5th. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm getting ready to pick up a 91 hatch in a couple days, I don't really know much about the car other than its got a fairly fresh rebuild on the motor and new clutch. Its a d15b1, I'm just gonna be using it for a daily for the most part, not wanting to try to race it. Just something decent on gas and all that. Is there anything I need to be watching for on it? I've never really messed with 4th gens any, so what surprises should I look forward to. I drove the car tonight, and it runs and drives great, the 4sp is kinda weird cause I keep looking for 5th. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.
if its a 91 its should have came with 5speed.
other than that if u already took it for a drive n it felt good then ur good. might want to check for rust too.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
std = standard.....its the base model of the car....with like no features on it...like power windows/locks, sun roof.....its just a plain old car lol....but weighs less than the other models so its good for racing...

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
s**t I thought dx was the usdm base model of that year hatch. I didn't know there was a lower model lol. Damn.

White90EF

===SwAp DeEz===
5+ Year Member
yea its like 2127 lbs 4 speed no ac manual lock/windows crappy motor lol also DPFI like the DX

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
STD model has 4-speed, D15B1 engine, close coupled cat with exhaust manifold like the CRX HF, has real small exhaust, has no passenger side mirror, no tach, no console (just boot at shifter), no rear wiper or washer, has black panel between tail lights, has small hubs and brakes same as CRX HF, has lighter seats

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea its like 2127 lbs 4 speed no ac manual lock/windows crappy motor lol also DPFI like the DX
Ehh I guess I learned some thing new today. I seen that model just didn't know it was called STD lol

95 civic hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
haha I always end up with base models, my last honda was a 95 cx...so I'm pretty used to no luxuries. But is that motor gonna be dependable? Not wanting to run it hard, just something to get me around until I can get my truck on the road and swap something else into it.

White90EF

===SwAp DeEz===
5+ Year Member
IMO i would say its dependable if your not going to race it or anything....its not like you gunna win any races lol cuz i sure as hell dont.....i try for s**ts and giggles though

95 civic hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
IMO i would say its dependable if your not going to race it or anything....its not like you gunna win any races lol cuz i sure as hell dont.....i try for s**ts and giggles though
haha that's all I was looking for, the little car seemed to run really good, and only had one kinda bad spot on the body, it's fixable for sure. It will be a couple weeks probably before the title comes in on it, he just bought it and I called wanting to buy it from him lol. I went and gave him some money on it today so he couldn't sell it to anyone else first. I can't wait to have another hatch.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a 91 std. its got a zc engine swap though ;) its a easy car to drive and gets good gas mileage. my clutch is going out though...lol to many burn outs lol its a light car i think mine weighs aprox. 1800 without me in it the fact that it doesn't have power windows and locks is ok becuase i have a 92 rs camaro with power everything and its just more to fix if it burns out lol the one thing i need to find for my std civic hatch is a passenger mirror im so use to using it but that car is just a big go kart anyway....lol

95 civic hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just started thinking about that engine code, it says d15b1 but the b1 is an 8 valve motor, this one is 16valve? No clue whats up with it. I can't wait to get it home and check it out.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just started thinking about that engine code, it says d15b1 but the b1 is an 8 valve motor, this one is 16valve? No clue whats up with it. I can't wait to get it home and check it out.
No bro. D15b1 is a 16 valve.
Which means you have a completely stock motor that comes already in your civic.

95 civic hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
D15B1 1.5L 8V SOHC PGM-FI

taken from the engine codes section on this site. I'd rather it be completely stock though.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D15B1 1.5L 8V SOHC PGM-FI

taken from the engine codes section on this site. I'd rather it be completely stock though.
D15b1
Found in:

1988-1991 Honda Civic Hatchback

Displacement*: 1,493*cc (91.1*cu*in)
Bore and Stroke*: 75*mm*×*84.5*mm (3.0*in*×*3.3*in)
Compression*: 9.2:1
Power*: 62*hp (46*kW) @ 5500 rpm & 82.6*ft·lbf (112.0*N·m) @ 3000 rpm [ 1 ]
Valvetrain*: SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control*: OBD-O DPFI