New to the scene

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What's going on? My name's Mike, I just recently bought a 2000 Honda Civic Sedan. So far I love the car, I used to be a mustang guy, I've owned 4 mustangs.....and 4 mustangs broke down. Don't get me wrong, I still think they're alright, but they're honestly overrated "muscle" cars. I had a 96 GT mustang, I started to learn they aren't much when I got passed by a 4 door Grand Prix GTP(I now own a 99 GTP..260hp 4door.) not a bad car. But I'm a contract worker, so I travel and I flew to Washington leaving my car behind. I bought the 2000 civic for a gas saver to drive while I was here. But I've started to fall in love with the honda. After driving it I've decided to keep it. I've been doing a little research into different engines and I think I've decided to go for the 3.2l DOHC J32. Seems to have some good hp from the start, and with exhaust, turbo and intercooler I should be able to get close to 400hp maybe more. But before I did this I thought I'd ask what you guys/girls think. After all, who would know better than the people that have been doing this for awhile. I almost turned to Spoon motorsports, hearing about them(sad I know) from fast and the furious, after reading opinions from people that do this stuff for a lifestyle it seems that the movie is a joke. you guys would know after all. But I did look into it. From what I have read and the emails I got back from the good people at spoon motorsports it is a great option, but since I'm not planning on racing professionally it didn't seem cost effective for me. Looking more into it the J32A VTEC from the Accord has around 250hp NA, and I hear that it is strong enough to handle turbos without any major mods. Though I may consider putting in some titanium sleaves and new pistons(possibly for nos) But that would come later...after more time and research into everything. Any ideas or advice for the "NEWB"?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just go for a K20 swap instead of the J32.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've got one question for you, are you ready to let the dogs out?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i am

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
B-series or a K-series would be the better option.

civicturbo91

professional bitchslapper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
k swap. supercharge. my friend has one thats supercharged. nastyness

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i always thought the J was a good swap too but everyone talked me out of it. i forget why, i dont think its an easy swap to put in a civic

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hear the k20 is not worth the money. it's not as much hp as the J32a, and costs a lot more. I found a j32a with tranny(around 16-17,000 miles on it) for 3,000.00. Compared to the $7-8,000 it'll cost for the k20r. With a twin turbo kit on the j32 I can push serious hp. and still get away with only spending around 10,000.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not to mention the k20r from spoon only pushes what 210-225hp? but costs like 7-8,000.00? the j32A is around $3,000.00 and has 250hp.....what would make the k20 worth the money? It could be that it's not an easy swap for the j32, but I've read a few articles about it being done. I'm still looking into the difficulty of swapping this motor. I make good money so I don't mind spending it, but I want to know what I'm doing before I jump into it head first.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

i always thought the J was a good swap too but everyone talked me out of it. i forget why, i dont think its an easy swap to put in a civic
Every n00b that gets into the scene wants to J swap.. But they have no idea what theyre in for.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not some teenager newb, I I'm 27, and make around 10,000/month. I'm not ignorant to the fact that it's not going to be a bolt in swap. I'm doing the research. If it can't be done then I'll go with the k20 swap. I'll need the engine, tranny, exhaust(most likely custom, since the engine wasn't made for my car) I believe all the wire harnesses come with the engine and tranny. What other problems do you see with that swap? If it can be done for 10,000 or less It's worth it to me. Because from what I've been told it's going to cost much more than that to make a k20 400 hp.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm also considering building this car as a show car. by the time I'm done with engine, suspension, interior and exterior I'm expecting to spend around 30,000 maybe more.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did ian put you up to this?

this is not a real thread. if you make 120k a year i have a few questions for you.

1 why are you lurking in this kiddie forum?
2 you make enough money to drive a real car and do mods to it
3 are you gay
4 do you love ian
5 you are willing to spend that much money and not do spoon stuff
6 why spend all this money on a civic and not track the damn thing
7 is your name brian earl spilner?
8 are you a fanboi

stealthex

stealthex
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok wait a sec u make 10k a month a contractor..and you worried about gas....:2confused

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1 why are you lurking in this kiddie forum?
I have a civic...this is a civic forum? isn't it?
2 you make enough money to drive a real car and do mods to it
I have considered buying a mazda rx7, nissan 300zx tt, or supra, but I have been talking with my fiancee about having kids in the next few years, and don't want to get rid of my car after I put all the time and money into customizing it. Aside from the fact that a civic that had that engine would almost be one of a kind.
3 are you gay
No, I am not gay, hope you're not disappointed.
4 do you love ian
Don't have a clue who Ian is.
5 you are willing to spend that much money and not do spoon stuff
As I stated when I first posted this, I do not know a lot about the technicalities of the scene. I am looking to get the most potential out of whatever engine I use, and a 4cyl...spoon or not is limited on potential. the J32A with more displacement has more potential for greater gains without spending all of my money(just because I make money, doesn't mean I wan't to spend it all in one place. ) I do have investments I'm working on as well.
6 why spend all this money on a civic and not track the damn thing
I will likely bring it to the track, just not professionally. But I know speed is addicting, so if I do well enough when I'm just having fun, I'm sure I will go further with it.
7 is your name brian earl spilner?
I do like the movies, but no...I'm not an actor.
8 are you a fanboi
If you're asking if I like the concept of the scene...who doesn't? Am I going to be spending every waking moment I have turning a wrench, or hanging out behind a gas station, or in alley ways with a bunch of teens...not likely. Will I enjoy throwing them to the side once I'm done building my car, and showing them what can happen if you work hard and make a good living...sure, why not.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dude you could build a b20vtec for boost and make 500whp for $10k and it would be a lot easier than a j swap