1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe, from done with to done up!

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A little back story: I used to be really deep into Hondas as I had a 1992 Prelude Si w/ a very well built motor and won a 1999 Civic Si. Both cars were touring with Hot Import Nights and the occasional NOPI event but I grew out of it about the time "Fast and Furious" made everything "Rediculous and Curious" as fart cannons were put on just about every car on the road! I'm sorry, but an air cone filter and muffler don't make a car "bad ass".

Since then I've been much bigger into motorcycles: 1999 R6, 2004 600RR, 2007 GSX-R 750, 2006 Daytona 675 and 2005 R1... They're all gone now as well. I ended up purchasing a little Hyundai Accent for a daily driver and got bored with it. Tiburon 2.0 DOHC swap, 20G turbo, custom Apexi N1 exhaust.. blah blah blah. It was my "go-kart."

So I leave my parents' house after our family dinner. As I approach a red light, it turns green... I start accelerating... Just before entering the intersection, I glance to my left, there's a Ford Taurus BOAT doing 60+! I slam on my brakes so hard I fracture a bone in my foot. She doesn't even hit the brakes and rips the engine right out of the car. I spin out 540 degrees coming to a stop about 35 foot from the intersection. My engine is about 50 foot from me and my front bumper, support and a rim are about 100 feet down the road in the other lanes of traffic.

She was 19 with her 3 year old son and didn't notice the light because she was texting!! Needless to say, her insurance company took the blame the next day. I got a check for my little "go-kart" and went car shopping.

I came across a 1997 Honda Civic EX for $1500!!!!!!!!! But, 167xxx miles, 12 holes in the exhaust, a small rip in the driver's seat, some dents, needed a mirror, both headlights fogged over... and.... RED! But it ran GREAT! So I said screw it, and handed the guy some cash... Now I'm building another Honda, but noticed things have changed quite a bit in the last 7 years! There's 20 different styles of each part for this civic, nothing really appears original anymore.
My goal is to end up with a pearl white civic, grounded by Tein TRUE coilovers with some clean 16" wheels. I want it to be quick, but daily driven. No body kits, spoiler or otherwise large decals that draw attention.

Here's a list of what I've ordered thus far:
Apexi N1 Cat Back
DC Sports Stainless Header
Greddy "Hi-Flow" Cat
Password JDM Carbon Fiber Intake
Some eBay projector headlights - the company sent some free tail lights, but they're a little to retro for me (APC 3D tails)
Type R Grill (already painted and installed)
MSD Plug Wires
MSD External Coil Distributor Cap
MSD Rotor
MSD Blast 2 Coil Pack
NGK Iridium Plugs

This may get me started, but I'm looking at either eventually tearing through the motor and boosting it or swapping in an LS. I'm looking for ideas for this winter as I figure it'll be in the garage more than on the street.

Here's what it looked like the day it got delivered from the body shop getting the door replaced and new mirror installed:

This is what the Hyundai looked like the weekend before the accident:

Well, let the project begin. I'm putting the entire exhaust on tonight. Tomorrow we're running a leak down test on the engine and test my compression. Busy weekend.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
good luck with the build keep us updated

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The exhaust is on. The stainless steel header looks nice now that it has that gold and blue coloring! The center of the exhaust hangs lower than I was hoping. Does anyone has a cure for this? There's no hanger for that "S" section...

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does anyone know where I can get a downpipe for a 16G turbo as well? Prefabbed? Or do they only make the log manifold but no downpipe for the D16 and a 16G?

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I'm looking into some options for the car's power plant... I need to get some opinions as I was a Prelude junkie before, but now that I have this Civic, there appears to be about 45 different ways to go. Here are the options I'm looking at:

D16Y8 - boosted with either a Mitsu 16G or 20G
LS - Boosted with 16G/20G
OR All motor LS block, B16 head

I've been weighing the options and think I will have the best results with the LS Turbo, but think I want to stick with the D16 boosted.

This will be daily driven once everything is done. I like the sound of how reliable the D16 is with a smaller turbo and I know the head aches with motor swaps and especially frankenstein engines as I had an H23 with the H22 head in the ol' lude. I'm sure you've seen these questions before, and I'm sorry if you feel it's repetitive.

Ideas? Opinions?

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Really unsure what the beginning of your story had to do with anything, it seems like you are still partial to the older style of fart cans and badass intakes.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Really unsure what the beginning of your story had to do with anything, it seems like you are still partial to the older style of fart cans and badass intakes.
The beginning of it was saying that all the kids with the fart cannons and/or just intakes is what annoyed me. Sorry for the long, drawn out story. Basically, I have a Honda Civic now that I want to build, but don't want to end up with a "rice rocket." I am looking for some ideas as I don't know as much about Civics as I do Preludes. If the advise comes from someone that throws and intake and exhaust on their car and think they're going to wipe the floor with a corvette, then it's a little ill advised.

See what I mean now?

(Oh, and I can't leave out all the REALLY COOL 3 tier spoilers on a front wheel drive car.... *sarcasm*)

NIKE H34D

Slow and Loving It
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why didnt you save the money from the header/intake for your turbo build? dont really see any point in these parts period whether your going to boost or do an engine swap....

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why didnt you save the money from the header/intake for your turbo build? dont really see any point in these parts period whether your going to boost or do an engine swap....
The motor swap/turbo won't be going in until late winter or early spring. When I bought the car, the exhaust had several holes. The stock manifold was cracked all the way around the #4 cylinder and was leaking and causing exhaust gas to enter my car and also cause some serious noise. The intake will still fit if I do the LS/Vtec Swap. I'm not overly concerned about the money at this time as I just want to car running right for the time being until I start to get drastic with the changes in the car.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmmmm well way to answer my questions :D Good Luck With Tha Build :D
Thank you.

The Password JDM intake isn't coming anymore anyways. I got an email late last night saying:
"We experienced an inventory error and the intake is currently on back order until or near 9/1/2009. Please let us know how you would like to proceed?" WTF?!?!?!

So I canceled the order and am just going to order a FMIC and piping and use the piping for an intake system for now. Once I go turbo (either with the D16Y8 or LS) I can use the items then! No more LS/Vtec as I like turbos WAY too much! :lol:

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
some photos of the new exhaust and headlights. The taillights are going to be taken off... I don't like them. Anyone want some cheap "3D" tail lights? - $20 plus shipping?

I'm going to put on the 99-00 tails instead

These are not the ones I ordered so the place gave me some money back... They still look decent and are bright as hell - No blue, just plain ol' white.

The N1 exhaust... It's a little recessed, and my car looks lifted in the picture... I assure you, it's not...

The stainless header.... It's turned gold, blue, purple and polished... I don't want to show the full engine bay til I have it cleaned up and looking better.

True Coilovers will be here in about a week. I'm not going to put them on until I get the new wheels/tires and other suspension components as well.....

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i thought this build had potential, but with those headlights, i change my mind..

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i thought this build had potential, but with those headlights, i change my mind..
OUCH! If it helps you out much, the stocks were hazed over and are having the housings painted black as I post this message... No one sells regular projectors anymore without the halos, it sucks

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
y would u want projectors?
they suck period, and are hideous..
just get oem headlights and do hid's if u are stuck on projectors..

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i want to see more pics of the prelude.

hopefully its the one in ur sig..

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Most of the pictures of the Prelude I have are all "print" form. I didn't have a digital camera when I had that thing. I'll see if I can find some on my old computer, but I haven't had it for about 7 years.

Oh, and the projectors appear brighter than the HID kits. I had HID's on my 02 Civic and my ol' GoKart Accent. These are by far brighter. I do a lot of night driving in remote areas while traveling and need the extra light.