Parking Brake stuck on?

Ninjeff

The brake is on the right
5+ Year Member
Ok, so the other parts are in route for my civic, but over the past 2 days a new problem has developed. Go figure.

It seems as though my parking brake gets stuck "on" after the car sits for a bit. Today, while leaving home to head back to work over lunch, it was the worst. Here is what happened....
I get in my car (i leave it in neutral with PB on, level surface) and i put it inro reverse, it goes in gear fine. Attempt to back up and the car wont move. I verified PB was down and off (it was, brake light was not on) and put it in first, it moved ok, but with some resistance. I put it back in neutral, and it backed up a few feet before not moving an inch. The back of the car would raise when i tried to go in reverse, but the wheel wouldnt move . Put it in first again, and it moved, albeit with some resistance. Back in reverse, same issue. I'd try and back up, but something would "grab" and stop the rear wheel. I know its the rear, because my front tires were spinning (on slightly icey lot). At this point, i was angled enough to pull forward in 1st gear and drive off. So i did, on down the ally and into the street, no problems. I went across the street to the gas station, let the car run for a minute while i picked up some smokes. I did NOT engage the parking brake at this time, mearly left it in neutral (the gas station lot is flat) I came back out, and put it in reverse just to see, and sure enough, it went in reverse just fine. Not a hick-up or stop to be had. Back into first, and drove off fine.
Parking at work, i left it in first, but did not engage the PB to see what happens when i come out to leave for the day.

This is a new issue, as it hasn't done it in the weeks ive had the car. Up until the past few days. Today being the worse. ((over the past few days it would feel like the brake might have stuck on, maybe, but wasnt enough to actually stop the car) .

Im wondering if it could be due to all the salt and ice we've had on the roads of late. It hasn't gotten above 10 degrees here for about 5 days. Coldest was 20 below. I let the car warm up about a minute or two before trying to drive every time.

RonJ

Banned
The rear brakes are likely icing up and freezing the brake mechanism in the parking brake on position.

HONDA_CIVIC_EJ8

5+ Year Member
yea ive been havin the same problem the last few weeks so i jus put it up 2 or 3 clicks now and it works jus fine.

Ninjeff

5+ Year Member
The rear brakes are likely icing up and freezing the brake mechanism in the parking brake on position.
Makes sense. Its nasty cold here. Any solution?

I'll try the "few clicks" method. I typically pull it up teh whole way, so hopefully this helps.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
\The back of the car would raise when i tried to go in reverse, but the wheel wouldnt move . P\\
I stopped reading right there. That is an indication your e-brake is locked up.

It's just freezing up with the cold weather. My car does the same thing every once in a while but no where near as bad as you. Just takes a little driving to get it to let go.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine does the same thing. I leave it gear and leave the brake down. I've had to get my car towed once because it would not budge for the life of it.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine does the same thing. I leave it gear and leave the brake down. I've had to get my car towed once because it would not budge for the life of it.
Wtf are you talking about? Only one of your rear wheels lock up when you pull the parking brake up. :rolf:

OP, if you can, pull the rear tires off, pull the hub off, and inspect and (if need be) adjust the parking brake lever.

Ninjeff

5+ Year Member
Wtf are you talking about? Only one of your rear wheels lock up when you pull the parking brake up. :rolf:

OP, if you can, pull the rear tires off, pull the hub off, and inspect and (if need be) adjust the parking brake lever.
is it the passenger side rear that is supposed to lock? that seems to be the one causing the issue.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it the passenger side rear that is supposed to lock? that seems to be the one causing the issue.
Lol, no. Both are supposed to lock up when the parking brake is pulled. I was stating that his car specifically, only one wheel locks up. Ive done TONS of work on his Civic, hence why I know this.

But yea, both wheels should lock up when the brake is pulled.

Ninjeff

5+ Year Member
Lol, no. Both are supposed to lock up when the parking brake is pulled. I was stating that his car specifically, only one wheel locks up. Ive done TONS of work on his Civic, hence why I know this.

But yea, both wheels should lock up when the brake is pulled.
hmm maybe it is both on mine. I dont know because i can only see over my right shoulder to see that side of the car raising. I hope this sh!t stops.....er...go's.....er....yea.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree with EJ6, don't just assume it is the weather, pull it off and inspect, replace the brakes and hardware IF need be... And adjust... It should not lock up, it should be fine once you drop the brake lever down...

Ninjeff

5+ Year Member
problem resolved for now by only pulling the parking brake up 2 or 3 clicks. Wouldn't recommend on hills, but works just fine in flat-ass illinois.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LOL that is good! Let us know what you find! Hey where are the pics of your ride you owe us for helping you????

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine does the same thing, PLUS sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt at all, and if it does freeze up its annoying cuz when i shift as soon as i put the clutch in it slows down so i gotta shift fast.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ya, but when I release the brake, that one wheel is still locked and wont move lol. And when I let it sit overnight, in below freezing weather, with the brake up.... it really gets frozen. The handle goes down fine.. and one wheel works.. but a car driving on three wheels isn't very efficient... or safe, lol