shuts off on its own..

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
ok, out of nowhere my car now shuts off on its own. the cel is on but has been on before this started. i start the car and it just shuts off making tons of clicking noises from the ecu. :evil::evil:

RonJ

Banned
NEVER ignore the CEL. Click the CEL link in my signature to learn how to pull codes. Write the codes down and then reset the ECU to clear the codes. Then drive or run the engine and pull the codes again when the CEL turns on.

When the engine stalls, do the dash warning lights turn on or are all lights off? Have you recently done any work on the car?

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
they get very dim. the only recent stuff ive done is take out my system. how do you reset the ecu?

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, it's your battery. get a jump and you should be good.

RonJ

Banned
Clean and tighten the battery terminals and battery ground wire attached to the frame.

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
did both. i think the ecu is making it so the fuel pump isnt turning on. cause it seems like its not getting gas

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check fuse 13.
under dash fuse block.

and your ecu can be reset by pulling the 7.5a fuse in the hood fuse block.

RonJ

Banned
Not the dealership!!!:x

Also clean and tighten the ground on the thermostat housing.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What is the battery voltage? Did you try replacing the battery?

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its gotta be the battery. thats what happend to mine when i drained the battery from cranking
and also it could be your starter. check your connections. the bolt should be tight to the starter power cable, and the female ground should be on nice and snug.

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
yeah my battery did die and not want to jump when this all started

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pop off the ground, then reattach it and then jump it. if it doesnt take, then buy a new one.

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
battery it is. took of the ground put it back on then jumped it it ran for loie 30 seconds then the battery light came on and it shut off.

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the car shuts off while running then the battery is most likely not the problem. Your car runs off the alternator when the engine is running, not the battery. The first thing I would do is call the dealer with your VIN because there was a recall issued some years back for the ignition switch in 6th gen civics. The contacts wear down causing it to stall out and fail intermittently. It is possible that your car never had the recall service performed. Next thing to do would be to have the battery and alternator tested with a VAT machine. (voltage-amp tester) Just measuring the voltage of the battery does nothing but tell you the static charge under no load. Again, I highly doubt the battery is the problem in your case, because from what i gathered from your description, the car starts just fine.

RonJ

Banned
If the car shuts off while running then the battery is most likely not the problem. Your car runs off the alternator when the engine is running, not the battery. The first thing I would do is call the dealer with your VIN because there was a recall issued some years back for the ignition switch in 6th gen civics. The contacts wear down causing it to stall out and fail intermittently. It is possible that your car never had the recall service performed. Next thing to do would be to have the battery and alternator tested with a VAT machine. (voltage-amp tester) Just measuring the voltage of the battery does nothing but tell you the static charge under no load. Again, I highly doubt the battery is the problem in your case, because from what i gathered from your description, the car starts just fine.
I agree with the ignition switch idea. That's what I was pursuing when I asked whether the dash warning lights were on or off when the engine stalls. The OP said there were dim. It's a reasonable fit.

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OP if you want me to I can check to see if your car had the recall performed when i get to work at Honda tomorrow. If you are okay with me checking tomorrow, just PM me your vin number.