shuts off on its own..

RonJ

Banned
Its generaly difficult to test an intermittent problem if your not a automotive technition.
I'm not an automotive technician, just a regular guy like you. A mechanic will have just as difficult a time diagnosing an intermittent problem as you would. And it sounds like the problem has become very frequent, which suggests that the switch tests will be beneficial.

Last edited:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its generaly difficult to test an intermittent problem if your not a automotive technition.
There's a step by step method, and we're here to help him if needed. He'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
the only problem with taking it anywhere itll have to be towed, and i dont have a dolley or trailer so i will have to rent one because i live 45 miles from the dealership... ill take out the alarm, then tomorrow or tonight ill get that thingy and test the plugs if removing the alarm fails

_REV_

SkooT or DiE
5+ Year Member
the only problem with taking it anywhere itll have to be towed, and i dont have a dolley or trailer so i will have to rent one because i live 45 miles from the dealership... ill take out the alarm, then tomorrow or tonight ill get that thingy and test the plugs if removing the alarm fails
Wiggle the key in the on position and see if you can get it started.

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
itll start and run for about 10 seconds, then shut off. runs for about 5 seconds max from there after.

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
no, the battery light is on and bright, but the cel comes on very dim and the fuel pump doesnt cycle like it should when the key is put to the on position, i have a video if you want too see it, but it wont let me post it so im me your email if you want me to send it to your email

RonJ

Banned
no, the battery light is on and bright, but the cel comes on very dim and the fuel pump doesnt cycle like it should when the key is put to the on position
If the battery light is on full bright immediately after the engine stalls, then the ignition switch is fine. Go ahead and buy a multimeter, as it will likely help you pinpoint the problem. Given that the CEL is on, though dim, after the engine stalls, jump the service connector to see if you pull any codes. At this point, my guess is that the ECU has a grounding problem. You might want to start by sanding the thermostat ground wire connection clean and tightening it.

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
okay, got the multimeter, what settings should it be set on and such? wheres the thermostat ground at?

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
ive never had to use anything like this, im only 16 ya know just startin to learn the basics

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
alright i figured it out and they all got continulty... so what else could it be? wheres the thermostat ground located?

Tyfro!

16 Yr Old Premium Member
5+ Year Member
what would cause the cel to turn on only when you try to start the car and make it so the fuel pump isnt turning on?

RonJ

Banned
Pull the CEL codes. Click the CEL link in my signature.

The G101 ground is on the thermostat housing and looks something like this: