New to the Civic game. Tips and tricks?

MrJRoberts10

How is everyone? yea ok thats great. But no kudos to all thecivic gurus. I'm really liking not just mine but Honda in general.

So i still have my 5th gen civic i bought 1700 came wit 250+ miles. Questioned the guy about mechanic work he says he hasn't done anything major to it but a part of me was like "yea I bet, u got civics and acuras everywhere plus the civic in the back on blocks sure u dont".

But anywho i just want some info on my civic as far as what all i can do to it cuz i mean i heard since its an automatic there isn't much to do, but im not liking the way the tranmission shifts. It shifts so slow going into other gears like 2nd - 3rd (not to mention i do drive an 04 accord with a vtec) but i know its slow cuz I have a long line of people behind me after work during rush hr on both a 4 lane and 2 lane road.

Tried to install windsheild washer despensers that had led lights and messed around and shorted out somthing now turn signal, horn want work :-(.

So wats up my 92 civic automatic Jedi drivers!

P.S.: No Owners Manual!!! WHERE CAN I GET ONE???

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Body kit, raptor wing, dual fart cans, some chrome rims but nothing under a 17, under glows, the pimp ass halo headlights, altezzas, a sweet paint scheme on the interior and you should totally 2 tone it but go w/ vinyl wrap...i hear it's cheaper and low maintenance.

you GOTTA have a bangin stereo but don't do dynamat..it'll weigh the car down and you want people to hear that ish from far away
get on ebay and find a CAI and some headerS especially if you got that SOHC in there, and you gotta do a color scheme in the bay. I hear chrome will look HOT.

lemme know if you want more tips dude.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Body kit, raptor wing, dual fart cans, some chrome rims but nothing under a 17, under glows, the pimp ass halo headlights, altezzas, a sweet paint scheme on the interior and you should totally 2 tone it but go w/ vinyl wrap...i hear it's cheaper and low maintenance.

you GOTTA have a bangin stereo but don't do dynamat..it'll weigh the car down and you want people to hear that ish from far away
get on ebay and find a CAI and some headerS especially if you got that SOHC in there, and you gotta do a color scheme in the bay. I hear chrome will look HOT.

Silly girl. You forgot nitrous.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First mistake was installing those ridiculous LED washer nozzles, welcome back to 1999!
If you can't install those correctly, it's a sign, stay away from any sort of modifying.
As for the horn and turn signals not working, check the fuses under the dash, left of the steering column.

On the serious side, it's an automatic, economy car.
If it was manual, it would be a good start as far as any sort of beginnings of performance.
2 possible solutions to this problem:

1.Auto to manual swap, which from the sounds of it, is out of the question.
2.Sell it and find a 5spd manual.

The car is 20 yrs old, whatever can be done to it has already been done. If you can use the internet, you should be able to search around, read and research on what can be done and how to do it.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP

now dont hold back :rolf:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

get on ebay and find a CAI and some headerS especially if you got that SOHC in there, and you gotta do a color scheme in the bay. I hear chrome will look HOT..

:word:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Enough with the flaming?

Just because you have trouble installing something doesn't mean you should just never attempt any work on the car, do some research learn the basics and give it another shot. Maybe with something other than LED washer lights. Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't listen to any of these people. They SHOULD be trying to steer you in the right direction, rather than bashing you for what you don't know.

Post up some pics of the ride and let's go from there

:thumbs up

Welcome to the site man

Also you can check out ebay for an owners manual.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy crap guys I didn't expect you to react like that. I was just being silly.

young_, I wasn't bashing anyone. Not ONE time did I put the OP down, so settle down. I was just having harmless fun with him, everyone else ran with it in a negative direction.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy crap guys I didn't expect you to react like that. I was just being silly.
I was busting balls also, to a point....

They SHOULD be trying to steer you in the right direction, rather than bashing you for what you don't know.
Two way street, people SHOULD also take more initiative, again the platform is 20 yrs old and there is no shortage of info out there about it.

Read ,research and learn. :thumbs up
Sure we can tell you all the things to do, but finding out yourself you can learn/know what you can/can't do and what works best for you.

Sure we have to all start somewhere, I agree, but for many of us when we did start, believe it or not, the internet was just starting out and info was few and far between.
If we managed to figure things out and do it back then, with the plethora of info out there now, there is no excuse and should be easier than ever.
But what do I know, that's just me being simple and using common sense.
:what:

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On the serious side, it's an automatic, economy car.
If it was manual, it would be a good start as far as any sort of beginnings of performance.
2 possible solutions to this problem:

1.Auto to manual swap, which from the sounds of it, is out of the question.
2.Sell it and find a 5spd manual.

The car is 20 yrs old, whatever can be done to it has already been done. If you can use the internet, you should be able to search around, read and research on what can be done and how to do it.
This. I don't think people really realize how expensive and how much work it is to do an auto to man swap. And how really not worth it it is. Clean it up, sell it and get a manual if you plan on modding. Because you're just going to get flamed for modding an auto. As you can see.

And like he said, it's a 5th gen. One of the two most popular modded generations. Everything under the sun has been done to these guys and you can find it just about anywhere. Just open your eyes and take the time to research.

As for the owners manual, eBay or contact your nearest Honda dealer. Ebay is going to be cheaper though I'm sure.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I laughed :what:. But let's keep this more on topic. The guy wants help and we should be here to help.

And you can download owner's manuals on the intrawebz. Have been able to for many years.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As for the owners manual, eBay or contact your nearest Honda dealer. Ebay is going to be cheaper though I'm sure.
CL too, and someone on here has PDFs of all generations. I believe Anf is one of them.

MrJRoberts10

Lmbo thanks everyone you guys had me and my wife rolling. Also i didnt feel bashed at all it was preety halarious cuz it was true lol. The LEDs looked cool on my uncs truck plus i got them dirt cheap so i was like wat the hay.

Also i want to change my dashboard. Speedometer says im goig 80 wen im 40 then jumps to back and forth never my speed. And i dont trust my gas meter. Wat do u think about digital?

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lmbo thanks everyone you guys had me and my wife rolling. Also i didnt feel bashed at all it was preety halarious cuz it was true lol. The LEDs looked cool on my uncs truck plus i got them dirt cheap so i was like wat the hay.

Also i want to change my dashboard. Speedometer says im goig 80 wen im 40 then jumps to back and forth never my speed. And i dont trust my gas meter. Wat do u think about digital?
Glad to see you've got some humor b/c I wasn't sure if I could tell you where to buy ricer kits and whatnot from.

Just get a new OEM cluster unless you want to rewire.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Like an AP cluster? I don't even think that would fit... And it sounds like a lot more work than would be worth it.
Just go to a wrecking yard and get a new one, or CL. Just plug it in and go.