headers..worth it!

ribal_gh

Hi Guys,

Do u think that headers on a b16 is worth the money?
recent upgrades: K&N air intake and sport muffler only.

Any back pressure might affect the engine performance? should any other mods in the exhaust system take place in order to get the best output.

thanks for any opinion or advice.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a complete exhaust system helps to make a difference rather than just a muffler. Yes it is worth it IMO unless you plan on turbocharging the car. Extracting more power is always worth it to me, and since its a b16, any extra torque you can squeeze out of the motor will probably be appreciated

ribal_gh

a complete exhaust system helps to make a difference rather than just a muffler. Yes it is worth it IMO unless you plan on turbocharging the car. Extracting more power is always worth it to me, and since its a b16, any extra torque you can squeeze out of the motor will probably be appreciated
no turbo charging plans.
by the way which is better a 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers.
thx

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no turbo charging plans.
by the way which is better a 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers.
thx
Neither is better than the other. They are designed with two different concepts in mind. A 4-2-1 is based around low end torque and mid-range power. A 4-1 design is based on mid-range and top end power. So it really comes down to how you expect the car to perform. Some headers are well balance and can give gains throughout the entire powerband (but these usually aren't off the shelf headers)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A header alone won't give you that much power. Especially a cheap one like Megan Racing or eBay. If you want a good one, spend the money and get something like a Bisimoto.

And if you're not going forced induction, have the money to spend, and want to gain power, I would highly recommend getting more supporting mods and a tune afterwards. You're not really doing or gaining anything with a filter, sport muffler, and generic header.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It all depends on how you look at it. Is it worth it from a dollars to horsepower ratio? Probably not. It is however, one of the easier and more practical things you can do, it looks better than stock and sounds nice with a full cat-back exhaust system. Personally, I would do it but don't expect big power gains. If you don't have a cat-back exhaust, consider upgrading that first. It seems like lately people always bash bolt-ons because finally people realize it's not realistic to gain 10-15 horsepower with a single part but they still have their place in my opinion. It's all about managing expectations.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This

Neither is better than the other. They are designed with two different concepts in mind. A 4-2-1 is based around low end torque and mid-range power. A 4-1 design is based on mid-range and top end power. So it really comes down to how you expect the car to perform. Some headers are well balance and can give gains throughout the entire powerband (but these usually aren't off the shelf headers)
and then this.

ribal_gh

A header alone won't give you that much power. Especially a cheap one like Megan Racing or eBay. If you want a good one, spend the money and get something like a Bisimoto.

And if you're not going forced induction, have the money to spend, and want to gain power, I would highly recommend getting more supporting mods and a tune afterwards. You're not really doing or gaining anything with a filter, sport muffler, and generic header.
ummm, but these small mods are not really bad,
personally im against messing with the inetrnal parts of the engine,so what i want is to get the max power from a stock engine.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As per my researches, seems that a 4-1 header is better for a b16 since its power is mainly after 5500 rpm
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, na mean?

4-2-1 helps with low end power. I like that. Alot. Honda engine are already famous for having the high-end rpm power.

ribal_gh

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, na mean?

4-2-1 helps with low end power. I like that. Alot. Honda engine are already famous for having the high-end rpm power.
but wouldnt it loose the high end power!!
during a race...all the way the vtec is screaminggggg =) so mainly u need this top end.
isnt that correct !

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you already have the top end so maybe a 4-2-1 can help ur low end..but if you race and are always in vtec then maybe the 4-1 is better because your using that part of the power band more...just my .02

Jose1027

Registered VIP
Wel depends what you mean by worth it?it wont make your car super fast,i would say find a nice catback system nd high flow cat,how much are you trying to spend? You can get a dc header for around 250 or an ebay one for about 50..im running a ebay header with a yonoka catback nd i love it it was about 310 for everything,so it depends on your budget

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but wouldnt it loose the high end power!!
during a race...all the way the vtec is screaminggggg =) so mainly u need this top end.
isnt that correct !
what if the race is on a very small and tight turn course? where you don't even shift pass 3rd gear?

Many factors, na mean?..

and Yes, you will lose high end power. But how much is that deviation? You would have to compare the power curve from a engine set up with a 4-2-1 and one with 4-1 to see where the difference is. That's if you really want to be technical about it. Not only to see the difference, but to gather some numbers from results and apply them to what you're trying to achive.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Strictly talking from the butt dyno, with a generic stainless header, modified intake and Thermal Research exhaust on my Crx, the stock d16a6 seemed to wake up a bit, more spirited, throttle response seemed a bit improved and actually gained a couple MPG's.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Strictly talking from the butt dyno, with a generic stainless header, modified intake and Thermal Research exhaust on my Crx, the stock d16a6 seemed to wake up a bit, more spirited, throttle response seemed a bit improved and actually gained a couple MPG's.
mos definitively. regardless if its 4-2-1 or 4-1 design.

putting alot of effort into deciding on 421 or 41 is probably something done by those who build engines from scratch with an intention already in mind.

the avarage joe like Me? well. i've had a 4 - 2 -1 AND a 4-1. All tested with my butt dyno. Its definitively something i do not lose sleep over.

ribal_gh

what if the race is on a very small and tight turn course? where you don't even shift pass 3rd gear?

Many factors, na mean?..

and Yes, you will lose high end power. But how much is that deviation? You would have to compare the power curve from a engine set up with a 4-2-1 and one with 4-1 to see where the difference is. That's if you really want to be technical about it. Not only to see the difference, but to gather some numbers from results and apply them to what you're trying to achive.
thats a different point of view that i didnt think about... do u have the power curves for these 2 differant setups?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats a different point of view that i didnt think about... do u have the power curves for these 2 differant setups?
I do not man. The header that i replaced was 4-2-1 for a 4-1. My only deciding factor was that i wanted to improve High-end power. I was satisfied with the current low-end power but was looking to improve high-end power one way or another. I can also say that the second deciding factor was the fact that i wanted to try something different, since i was driving the car for several years with a 4 into 2 into 1 header.
:edit:
i rmember that day :lol: i drove open header to my friends shop to hook up the exhaust. it was LOUD!

mikeyisfresh

ummm, but these small mods are not really bad,
personally im against messing with the inetrnal parts of the engine,so what i want is to get the max power from a stock engine.
for a B16, you will probably get some good gains putting some Type-R camshafts in. but that also leads to upgrading valves, valve springs, retainers, etc... runs into money, but worth it in my opinion.