92' Civic CX Engine swaps

Hubbal

I just bought a 92' Civic CX, I am looking for an engine that will bolt right up to the car without changing anything, it has a D15B8 in it right now.....tiny engine, what engine bolts directly to the mounts and is good enough to hold boost maybe 10-15lbs? any help is appreciated

I have been looking on JDM sites for a new engine, any other suggestions?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you don't want to change mounts or axles than anything d-series. A D16Z6 would be a good option for you as it's OBD-1

Hubbal

d Series

first of all what does OBD stand for? Secondly, i was told to stay away from the D-Series since they have weak internals, and cant hold alot of boost, is there any truth to that?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first of all what does OBD stand for?
:google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Secondly, i was told to stay away from the D-Series since they have weak internals, and cant hold alot of boost, is there any truth to that?
You have a d-series currently.

I am looking for an engine that will bolt right up to the car without changing anything
Not going to happen unless you stay with a d series motor. Anything else will require mods such as motor mounts, axles, wiring and transmissions.

Based on what you've posted so far, I'd worry about learning the basics before you start messing with boost.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Like Mr. Baker said, if you are unsure about doing a swap then you should do alot of research before boosting.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If u don't want the a d ur gonna have to do a lot more research or at least tell us ur budget. But no matter what if u don't wanna stick with the D series ur gonna have to change out almost everything under your hood

Hubbal

so then i should just do a d-series swap...possibly internal engine work..thats what i am hearing, any suggestions? i was thinking d16z6 but i dont have vtech on my current engine, i make about $230 per month. Just got the title and tags and insurance for it today! Fun car but i want more power!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so then i should just do a d-series swap...possibly internal engine work..thats what i am hearing, any suggestions? i was thinking d16z6 but i dont have vtech on my current engine, i make about $230 per month. Just got the title and tags and insurance for it today! Fun car but i want more power!
It's vtec.
The d16z6 is vtec, so you will need to wire your car for it, but everything else will work, transmission, axles and mounts.
Whatever can be done to these cars, prob already has. The platform is over 15 yrs old, therefore there is LOTS of info on swaps if you're willing to put the time into searching and reading up.

On your budget, you're a LONG way from significant power.
Research,save up, maintain it, enjoy the fuel mileage.

union made

5+ Year Member
I just put a D16Z6 in my '92 CX, 5 speed. Super pleased with the performance and gas mileage, 35mpgs. Relatively easy swap. Buy an engine bay wiring harness with V-Tech. You'll need an air tube from a Z6 that goes from the air cleaner to the throttle body. If you have a 5 speed; you'll want a transmission from an EX or an SI to get the gearing to make the V-Tech functional and fun. I'd recommend a gauge cluster with a tach. All easy mods. Buy the factory repair manual, available on CD cheap. Buy a good manual to use in the garage. I used Haynes. I'd recommend asking others what they use. I made it, rebuilt from bottom up, but READ the whole section before you start. And always remember the Z6 turns counter clockwise. Good luck.

union made

5+ Year Member
92 cx rear suspension rebuild

Leave the rear suspension to the pro's.

Last edited:

union made

5+ Year Member
Another thought: the Z6 has large main bearing and rod bearing journals which makes the bottom end better able to handle boost.

codeman76

The d15b8 you have in your car right now also turns counter clockwise. So nothing to worry about if you were to swap in a d16z6.

union made

5+ Year Member
We are refering to the direction of the rotation of the pulley on the driver side of your motor, the crankshaft pulley. The Haynes manual seems to suggest that most D series motors turn clockwise. Keep the members of Club Civic informed of your progress, and they will help. They were invaluable to me. I love the change in my hatch. Good luck. It's really not that hard, and worth it. 55 HP makes one heck of a difference, and you're still running a stock engine with room for hundreds of dollars and HP. Horse power can be very expensive. So on a budget; this is a great base. Something else. Buy Quality parts and products. The fit and longevity will make a few extra bucks worth it. I bought a cheap header and it hung so far below the engine that it looked like the cods on a buffalo.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The d15b8 you have in your car right now also turns counter clockwise. So nothing to worry about if you were to swap in a d16z6.
I don't see how mentioning that it in the first place was necessary then, if only to add irrelevant info and possibly confuse the OP. Keep it simple.

The only motor, IIRC that turns clockwise is the K-series, and with the members budget, I don't foresee that in the cards. Especially since it was mentioned they wanted something that bolts directly in, using current mounts, axles and transmission. So any other series motor swap other than a D would be out anyway.

Hubbal

Well I have done a little research, I found a rebuild kit for the D15B8 motor valued at $390, comes with pistons and everything including water pump and oil pump, could I rebuild my current engine and turbo it with low boost? Like i said i am not looking to race this thing just add some HP, doing the rebuild would be cheaper by far than buying the D16Z6 valued at $998 w/o shipping $1148 w/ shipping.....I was thing about going the rebuild route...later adding a turbo running low boost....I appreciate everyones input thus far =) Pro and Cons are valued guys

Also I can have the money for the rebuild much sooner than I could for the new engine, old one doesnt seem like it's gonna last much longer, It's smoking at high RPMs and has a very rough idle sometimes....poor car has 205987 miles on it, just put new spark plugs in and changed the oil myself...trying to just keep it alive

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Well I have done a little research, I found a rebuild kit for the D15B8 motor valued at $390, comes with pistons and everything including water pump and oil pump, could I rebuild my current engine and turbo it with low boost? Like i said i am not looking to race this thing just add some HP, doing the rebuild would be cheaper by far than buying the D16Z6 valued at $998 w/o shipping $1148 w/ shipping.....I was thing about going the rebuild route...later adding a turbo running low boost....I appreciate everyones input thus far =) Pro and Cons are valued guys

Also I can have the money for the rebuild much sooner than I could for the new engine, old one doesnt seem like it's gonna last much longer, It's smoking at high RPMs and has a very rough idle sometimes....poor car has 205987 miles on it, just put new spark plugs in and changed the oil myself...trying to just keep it alive
998 for a f**king z6? keep shopping dude

jdm d15b with a DSM 14b setup, google it

/thread

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the rebuild would be cheaper by far than buying the D16Z6 valued at $998 w/o shipping $1148 w/ shipping...
I don't know where you're shopping, that's outrageous for any stock d series.
For example, you can pick up a JDM d15b vtec, which is essentially the Japanese equivalent of the z6 for $800 +shipping. That's on the high end from hmotors.com, I know you can find a running, good shape z6 in the grey market for well under that.

Or do the rebuild and do a vtec z6 head swap onto your d15 block, aka mini me swap.
Here's a head.
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=210416

Hubbal

92 civic d15b8 rebuild?

i think i am gonna rebuild, its cheaper for one....then add a turbo later after some internal work.....pros and cons of a rebuild are appreciated