1997 DX hatch

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Reminds me that I need to put in an order for my family's hondas that I'm always working on. I love buying oem, but for convenience I wish I could get them at napa or something.

Nice update tho man! Keep it up.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Reminds me that I need to put in an order for my family's hondas that I'm always working on. I love buying oem, but for convenience I wish I could get them at napa or something.

Nice update tho man! Keep it up.
Thanks man. I hate having to wait for them to come in the mail, but when they get here, its so sweet.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Since my shipment of parts came in and I was tired of scrubbing the engine, I decided to start assembling some stuff.

So I did the intake manifold today...

I found some awesome allen head bolts at Lowe's to use for the IAT block off, MAP, and TPS.

I've known this for a while, but never posted it. I won't be able to use the Spoon Venturi intake manifold plate due to the aftermarket intake manifold. It uses a circular coolant port while the OEM one is rectangular.

Two problems:

My throttle body does not have a coolant hose on top. I'm not sure what to do about that yet...

My second problem was with the fuel injectors. With the plastic bushings on the fuel rail mounts, the rail was no where close to sliding over the tops of the injectors. Without the bushings, I couldn't get the bolts tight enough. I added some washers to be able to tighten the bolts down. It fits pretty well, but there is still a small gap between the rubber bushing on the top of the injector and the bottom of the fuel rail.

What do you think? Will this work without leaking fuel everywhere? I'm pretty confident it will, but I just want to get some other opinions.

Oh and I painted my rear "T" bracket that came in the mail.

More to come. I will hopefully have the engine clean enough to paint by this weekend then I just have to put it all back together.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm.. interesting. What if there was O-ring in between that gap? What type of manifold is that again? The T-Bracket looks perfect man. Good job.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmmm.. interesting. What if there was O-ring in between that gap? What type of manifold is that again? The T-Bracket looks perfect man. Good job.
Thanks! It's a Skunk2 Gen 1 intake manifold. The rubber bushing on the injectors are not OEM. If you remember, I had them refurbished. The guy who refurbished them provided new bushings, but they appear to be the exact same size as OEM when compared side by side. I might look for some sort of rubber or plastic ring to fill the gap.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I decided to set the dates for the swap. I have off of school from April 5-9 for spring break so it seemed like the perfect time. With the new deadline a month away, I got to work this weekend.

I completely finished cleaning the engine and taped everything off for paint.

In order to clean the timing belt side, I had to take off the rear mid cover. It was all melted around the cam gears from rubbing and I had to break it to get it off. So now I'm looking for a new timing belt cover and possibly some OEM cam gears to replace these no name ones.

I'm going to start painting it tomorrow after school and hopefully have all the parts I have installed by the end of the week. I'm also going to re-loom my harness for a cleaner look.

If anyone has access to a B16 vacuum hose and/or coolant hose diagram, I would greatly appreciate a copy.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shoot a PM to Ron J, if anybody he will probably have a diagram or three for ya

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Finished painting the engine...

(Sorry for the bad pics, I was rushing to take them.)

Also got my clutch in the mail.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont forget the spring on your tensioner when you put it on. that gave me a little hassle trying to find one quick lol

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont forget the spring on your tensioner when you put it on. that gave me a little hassle trying to find one quick lol
Thanks for the tip man. Luckily for me, the t-belt and tensioner w/ spring were brand new when I got the engine. I just took them off to paint.

Looks mint! What stage clutch did you end up going with?
Thanks! It's just an Exedy stage 1. Nothing too crazy, because B16's don't have tons of torque. I just wanted something with a little more bite than stock.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lucky you, i bought the gates kit and didnt come with one so i had to find one