2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins "build"

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well im doing this to keep the mazda minitruck thread more on topic and to keep track of what i do to my newest purchase.

As the title states i traded in my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 and got this 2008 Mega Cab.

My old hemi ram.

I figured if i was still paying a truck payment and i just refinanced my house and didnt have a house payment for two months and i was going to be needing a bigger truck considering the back seats in the half ton were tiny and i am looking at getting into an enclosed trailer for when the mazda is done that i would kill two birds with one stone.

So the search started and after test driving numerous trucks locally and realizing everything was overpriced i decided to travel to Denver to pick up this fully loaded Laramie mega cab with 78,000 miles.

So first things first is i am removing all if the emissions since thats where the majority of the problems start on the new diesel trucks.

So i ordered a H&S egr delete, H&S mini maxx programmer with pillar mount, new 5" turbo back exhaust with muffler and a new cold air intake to start things off.

Basically this will be a maintenance and pucture thread along with a paint maintenance thread as this truck needs a good wax and all that good noise.

I will get interior pics and such when its not do f**king cold outside.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really like the rims on the '06

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to not be into trucks when I was younger - then you grow up, and realize "Holy s**t, trucks are really practical, and towing things is badass". Both of those trucks were nice! I want one haha

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aw tiny bed.

Diesel trucks own. I still need to do an EGR delete on mine.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used to not be into trucks when I was younger - then you grow up, and realize "Holy s**t, trucks are really practical, and towing things is badass". Both of those trucks were nice! I want one haha
Thanks man!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aw tiny bed.

Diesel trucks own. I still need to do an EGR delete on mine.
Same size bed as my half ton :what:

I needed a glorified car that i can tow with. The kids love the new back seats of the mega cab!

emerican

Registered VIP
^ im sure they do compared to the other trucks seats lol
im not really up on new trucks i understand deleting the emmisons, but you said thats where those trucks problems start
what kind of problems are they known for with that stuff?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ im sure they do compared to the other trucks seats lol
im not really up on new trucks i understand deleting the emmisons, but you said thats where those trucks problems start
what kind of problems are they known for with that stuff?
The newer diesels have particulate filters that will clog up as well as the o2 sensors and the egr valve. All of this along with several catalytic converters gets clogged with soot and is very expensive to replace. So everyone just deletes it all.

The high idle at idle is supposed to help along with a regen mode but we have had nothing but problems with our newer work trucks and even the semi trucks that have emissions bullshit are always going in for work.

The epa has made it illegal for obvious reasons. I mean u guys have seen the soot pouring out of these modded diesels. I am not doing it for that reason.

I just want better fuel economy and to have less worry about my truck breaking down on long trips. Also better more manageable power and torque.

Plus the price on them is going up $150-300 per day so i figure even if they get rid of them for street use that i will be able to pull it off and sell it for what i paid for it considering they dont make them anymore.

Hopefully everything is here monday or tuesday!

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Im a mechanic for the military and we have a lot of diesel trucks. This is the issue we run into as well. Wish we had the option to remove it all. All of our diesels are Chevy and fords so don't have much experience with the Cummins. It has to be better than the power stroke though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We run Ford Powerstrokes at work and they are complete junk in my opinion.

I guess the dpf deletes dont do as much for the cummins, but its still a safe modification to do just for peace of mind.

The duramax is a great engine paired with an amazing transmission.